II

━━━☆☆━━━

When it came to Halloween in their tight-knit town, the Ross twins had become prominent figures, or at least they were in their minds.

From the adults being thoroughly impressed with their coordinated costumes back in the trick or treating days, to classmates eagerly awaiting their annual party presently, it really did feel as if all eyes were on them.

This seventeenth year was going to be no different in terms of enthusiasm. At least that had been the goal.

"Okay, these are super cool." Newt holds up one of the rustic tombstone decorations Sonya brought home. He can already picture how great they'll look in the yard.

"I know, right?" She grins, clearly pleased. "I found them at the knickknack store downtown."

"Nice! That place is a goldmine." He gives one more approving nod before placing the decor back in the shopping bag. "Did you see any good costume stuff?"

"Loads and loads of it." Sonya takes a seat at the table next to him.

"Dude, you haven't even figured out what you're going to be."

A sigh escapes Newt at the mention of his dilemma. He had never thought he'd be able to put "procrastination" and "Halloween costume" in the same sentence, but lack of inspiration and schoolwork haven't exactly made things easy.
"Please, don't remind me."

Sonya frowns as she starts to fidget with the pumpkin-themed placemat in front of her. "I'm really sorry for bailing on you this year."

"Bailing? I told you I wasn't upset." Newt recognizes the guilty look on her face. "One of us was going to have to break away from the matching twin thing eventually."

"Besides, I think Harriet is a worthy replacement for me."

That gets a smile out of her. "An improvement."

"You haven't even told me what you guys are going as yet, but I already know it won't beat our peanut butter and jelly outfits from seventh grade."

"Fair point."

The nostalgia that memory stirs up gives Newt a ping of sadness and the urge to go flip through their special Halloween photo album. This year already has a bittersweet feeling being they'll be graduating in a couple of months.

He sits back and sighs. "I can't believe I'm going solo this year."

As soon as he speaks, it hits him. Between life and writing a certain pain in the ass paper, he's completely forgotten about the inquiring text he received a few days earlier.

"Shit!"

Sonya shoots him a look of alarm. "What is it?"

"Thomas asked me if I wanted to do matching costumes," Newt swiftly pulls his phone from his pocket. "And I fucking forgot to respond."

"Thomas?"

"Yeah, Thomas." He cringes at the unread message glaring at him from his inbox. "Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."