0.1

The noise of the many people of the train platform was suffocating as Gerard followed his mum through the masses of children and their parents. Even though many of the adults were smiling, you could see them holding in their tears as their children boarded the train that would take them away to safety, away from the city, the only problem being that they didn't know if they would see their children again. The countryside didn't have a 100% guarantee that no bombs would drop there, but there was much less a chance then in the middle of London.

"Have you got everything?" Gerard's mother asked him as he turned to face her in front of the train itself.

"I- I think so," The dark haired boy replied, lip quivering as he tried to hold in his tears, not wanting to cry in front of the younger children surrounding them. At 17 years Gerard was one of the oldest children boarding the train.

"Remember that I love you, so so much, Gee, and I always will. Forever," His mother said, voice muffled in her eldest child's hair. Gerard's brother, Mikey, had been evacuated weeks before hand.

"I love you to, Mum," Gerard responded, his voice cracking at the end as he desperately clung onto the woman who managed to dress so wonderfully even with the family's lack of money. "Be safe, and stay strong for, Dad. I promise you that I'll write as much as I can! Every week, if possible, because I know how much you worry! Make sure that you pay the bills on time and if you need help with them Mr Fitzgerald, down the road said he can help you out anytime you need!"

"Oh, Gerard, my sweet baby, I'll be fine," The boy's mother cooed, running her hand over  the back of his hair. "Don't you worry yourself. I'll be fine, Honey. Just make sure that you get there safe and tell me how you're settling in. If the people you're living with are nasty, I will come straight out there and personally pick you up."

Pulling one another in for another hug, both the boy and his mother clutched onto each other savouring the moment in which could be the last moment they spend in each other's arms. Eventually the train's whistle sounded loud across the platform and children hurried for board the train. Gerard bent his head and kissed his mother, before saying their final goodbyes, and putting on a brave-face then unsteadily making his way to the vehicle.

After handing his ticket and showing his name tag to the kind-looking woman at the edge of the platform Gerard stepped onto the train, making his way to his dedicated seat. Walking the length of his compartment for a while he eventually found his place and slid down to the window-seat he was given. Placing his small bag into the rickety brass rack above his head, he stood up and leaned out of the window in search for his mother, who would still be waiting on the other side of the train walls. After a few moments perilous searching he finally saw the blonde woman carefully folding her handkerchief before dabbing a couple of tears from her eyes. "Mum!" the boy called desperate to be near her for the few minutes until the train departed for the countryside. "Mum!" he called again, preying to get her attention. This time he did as his mother looked towards the train, face lighting up at the sight of her son safely seated on board. Gerard reached upward and snaked his arm out of the small gap of the window so he could hold his mother's hand in his own. Mothers up and down the train station were busy speaking to their children through the thin glass gripping tightly to their hands then releasing slowly as the train gently started into movement. "I love you," the pair said once more, smiling as big as they could as one another slid slowly out of view.

Gerard knew his mother would be upset, even though she tried to be strong for him, he knew as soon as he was out of sight she would break down in floods of tears just like the rest of the mothers along-side her, the majority currently husband-less due to the sudden need for all 'fit' men to fight for their country. The boy turned himself back around and slumped into the red velvet seat that would be accommodating him until an official told him which stop was his. He couldn't help himself, and before he knew they had even properly started, his own tears were flowing freely down his face. Sighing slightly he reached about his head and took down his bag, pulling out a pair of glasses and a rather tatty reading book. He double checked he was alone before wiping the tear tracks from his cheeks, pushing his glasses onto his face and opening his book to the most recently dog-eared page.