Chapter One

"Melissa, hurry up! You're going to be late for your first day of school!" My brother shouts from down the hall.
My eyes shoot open. I don't even remember pressing my snooze button. I turn on my side to check my phone.
7:36 a.m.

Shit. I can't be late for my first day of senior year. That will be bad for my first impression.

I get out of bed and walk to my closet. I pick out a flowy red shirt, a pair of black skinny jeans, and my converse that I bought over the summer. I throw my clothes on and apply some makeup. Then I brush my long wavy blonde hair. Twenty minutes later, I'm ready and I walk downstairs. My mom is sitting at the table with her reading glasses on. She has a cup of coffee in one hand and the newspaper in the other. I roll my eyes. My mom is probably the only person on the planet who still reads the newspaper. I reach down and Pat my golden retriever named Buttercup before kissing my mom on the forehead.
"Bye mom. Have a good day." I tell her.
She doesn't look at me or respond. I don't think she even heard me. She's been like this since my dad left 2 years ago without a word. It's affected all of us. My older brother Jonas was a senior at the time. He was never home. He was always staying out all night doing who knows what. I started getting behind in school and failing classes. As for my mom.. Well, she just hasn't been the same. Jonas is the only one of us who got his life back on track. He played baseball and was accepted to the local university with a full ride scholarship. After getting arrested for underage drinking and almost losing that scholarship, he decided it was time to get his life together. Now he's a sophomore at the same university.
I'm pulled out of my thoughts when Jonas comes downstairs. He's got brown hair like our dad and he's got mine and our mom's blue eyes.
"Do you need a ride to school?" He asks.
I don't have a car so I can't drive myself.
I shake my head. "No, I think I'll just ride the bus."
He looks at me puzzled, but he doesn't say anything.

I don't want to be a third wheel for another year.

I think, but I'd never say that to him. Jonas lives off campus just like his girlfriend Olivia so he drives her to school. He started driving me to school when our dad left because I was being bullied relentlessly and people kept telling me I was the reason he left.
"You're sure?" He asks absolutely unconvinced.
I just nod and he shrugs his shoulders and walks out the door.
As I walk to the bus stop I take deep breaths.

It's okay. One more year and you won't have to ride a bus again.

I check my phone.
8:10 a.m.

Not late.

The bus comes at 8:15 which means I haven't missed it yet. Pretty soon the bus stop comes into view and out of the three people, one of them looks familiar. One of them is Leo Valencia Garcia. He has been my best friend since the 7th grade. When I came out to him in the 8th grade, he said he supported me 100% and when I went through everything with my dad, he didn't leave my side. I could count on him.
"Hola Chica!" He says, grinning from ear to ear.
I laugh at his enthusiasm.
"Leo, why are you so happy at 8:15 in the morning?"
He takes looking hurt and I roll my eyes.
"It's our last year in high school! Why wouldn't I be excited? Aren't you excited Melissa?"

No.

Last year, they told me that as a senior, I was only required to take 4 classes. However, since I failed chemistry, which is a requirement to graduate, I had to take it again my senior year. Instead of telling him what I really thought, I smiled and said,
"Yes."
I could tell that's what he wanted to hear because he instantly looked pleased. When we compared schedules, I learned that we had 3rd period pre calc together with some lady named Mrs. Smith and 4th period physics with some guy named Mr. Brown, which meant I was alone for 1st period economics with some lady named Mrs. Martinez. And seeing as I also have a gap in my schedule from 4th to 7th, this also meant that my 7th period was going to be chemistry with Mrs. Turner.. again. When he was done looking at my schedule, he handed it back to me.
"Did you hear there's a new chemistry teacher this year." He says.

Did I miss something?

Over the summer I had been so busy I hadn't even looked to see who the chemistry teacher was, so I just assumed it was the same one. I look back down at my schedule.
Chemistry
7th period
Room 405 Kayla Banks
Leo smirked.
"She's supposedly really hot. Everyone at open house seemed to think so.

Did he just-

" Leo, I'm not dumb. She's just another teacher and besides, I don't fall for teachers, it's illegal for anything to happen."
Leo just shrugs. Finally the bus comes and I'm thankful.

What was he thinking?

The bus stops in front of the bus stop and the three people in front of me get on.

It's going to be okay.

I take a deep breath and get on the bus.
When we get to the school, we get off the bus and in front of me is a typical high school after a long summer. Everyone is taking to their friends and catching up. Leo wanders off to find Dave and I'm left alone. I look around for my other best friend, Meghan, but I can't find her anywhere. I'm hoping she's inside because we have some catching up to do. I walk to the big double doors at the front of the school and I go in.

One more year.

AN: So this is something that is new for me, but I found that it's really popular on this app, so I decided to give it a try. Hope y'all like it. Don't forget to comment with ideas, requests, things I mess up on like plot holes, spelling, or grammar mistakes. Also don't forget to vote. It means a lot.