2|| WHAT IS CHRISTIANITY?

With over two billion believers, the teachings and miracles of Jesus are still alive and ever-present to this day. This monotheistic religion stands as the most influential faith in the world today. But despite its widespread recognition and acceptance, disbelief persists among many. They fail to believe that God chose a virgin to give birth to his son, the Messiah, who physically lived and died for our sins and rose from the grave three days later. Yet, I pray, even now, that God may help their unbelief and that they may find solace in God's grace.

Christianity professes belief in one God, but it also teaches the concept of the Trinity: Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, three divine persons in one.

If there is any ambiguity, I pray this explanation helps.

God was sitting in heaven on a bright Sunny afternoon, overseeing his creation. To His surprise, the people He created to love one another and be good stewards were engaging in acts of killing, stealing, blasphemy, and various other forms of evil without any remorse. Although He loved them dearly, they were not reciprocating His love. He then decided to come to earth in human form, but how would He do it?

He sent an angel to Joseph and Mary, informing them that they were His chosen people and that Mary, in her virgin state, would give birth to a child whom they should call Jesus. He chose a virgin because He wanted this special child to come through purity. Additionally, He intended to raise suspicion, as this was a sure way for people to believe that Jesus was indeed the son of God. Jesus, a King, was born in a manger in Bethlehem.

Jesus was born into a Jewish family, but He refused to adhere to their tradition. On many occasions, you could find Him violating social norms like healing on the sabbath, aligning himself with the poor, outsiders, and the "unholy" and questionable folks of society. His love had no boundaries, and because of that, He was hated by the Jews. After numerous attempts, they finally killed Him, not knowing they were only fulfilling God's plan. Three days later, He conquered death and rose mightily. On the day of Pentecost, recorded in the book of Acts, the Holy Spirit descended from heaven into His people. He now lives within us.

At its core, Christianity is the worship of the true and living God, the God of all creations, the great "I AM." It is forging a pure intimacy with Him through Christ Jesus.

Embracing this religion means you acknowledge the existence of God and His son, repent of your sins, and undergo baptism, which symbolizes spiritual rebirth.

2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV – "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

We ought to walk in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, and this obligation entails that while we are present in the world, we must resist temptations. We are, in fact, spiritual beings having human experiences. It means embodying peace amid conflict and being cautious of close associations with those with opposing beliefs.

However, extending love to everyone, as Jesus did, remains paramount. Jesus said His commandment to us is to love our neighbour as ourselves, and this love surpasses faith and background, race, social status, and gender. However, where spiritual beliefs clash, always remember to maintain integrity to God and your Christian faith. As emphasized in 1 Corinthians 15:33, the company one keeps can influence character.

As we become His Ambassadors, our noble obligation is to lift others up, but we must always remember that all human transformation lies in God's hands. Our job is not to cause change but to pray and give moral support as God, who is the transformer, works.

Irrespective of denominational distinctions, it is fundamental that we live a Holy life before God and develop a strong personal relationship with Him. We can do this by praying and studying the word of God. Prayer is communication with God. Whether you kneel like Daniel or sit like David, the real posture is in our hearts, and this is how we fight our battles.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 NKJV – "pray without ceasing."

Matthew 26:41 NKJV – "Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Our holy book is the Bible, comprised of the Old and the New Testaments. The Old Testament contains 39 books, all written before Christ, focusing on the history, laws, and prophesies of God's chosen people, Israel. On the other hand, the New Testament documents the birth, Ministry, and death of Jesus, setting the foundation for the Christian Church. It contains twenty-seven books, so in total, there are 66 books. The Bible has been a bestseller for centuries, offering answers to every question and messages to every mess. It holds a reputation for self-motivation that is higher than any other self-help book on the market.

2 Timothy 3:16 NKJV - "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

The Bible reveals what God wants from us and depicts Jesus' character.

How can we effectively serve as His ambassadors if we do not comprehend the principles of His kingdom and the nature of our King?

How can we strive to emulate Him in our earthly lives without understanding His teachings and example?

As we know, Jesus was not just another "Jew"; He was a lawbreaker, trendsetter, and an impartial reflection of God. He refused to conform to the social norms of His dispensation, though this does not imply we should be rebellious. He knew when to challenge injustice with the right attitude and spoke for the voiceless. We can and should learn from Him. Use your voice and let your truth be heard! The Christian church began in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit, the comforter, descended upon the apostles and early followers in Jerusalem. Members of the community thought they were drunk, but Apostle Peter seized the moment, explaining that they were empowered by the Holy Spirit, not intoxicated. He went on to explain that they could experience this empowerment by being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

Although many already believed in God as the Father, they had yet to accept that He walked the earth as Jesus.

Acts 2:1-4 NKJV – "When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

Christians believe in resurrection, not reincarnation. This belief provides us with solace and hope, knowing there is more to life than just life itself. It eases our fear of death because we trust that after death, we will live again with our creator in His heavenly mansion. This belief should inspire us to live a holy life and, with the help of the Holy Spirit, live a life pleasing to the Father. The book of Revelation paints a clear picture that the Messiah will come again, and we will all be judged-both the good and the bad. Depending on how we spend our earthly lives, we will either dwell with God in Heaven or be condemned to eternal torment.