Chapter Two

I walk anxiously down the maternity ward, feeling uncomfortable at the sound of crying newborns around me. Although a curtain has been pulled around one of the beds, I can tell from the voices within it that this is Mary's bed, and pull back the curtain to reveal a very tired-looking Mary cradling her small baby in her arms. 

She looks up as I enter and her eyes widen in shock. "Sophie, you're back!"

Dad and John, previously transfixed to the small person on the bed, turns to me as she speaks. 

"Yeah, I tried calling back home first but nobody was there. I'd lost track of how many months gone you were!"

Mary smiles. "Do you want to come and see her?" I hesitate at the end of the bed, not wanting to go any further. I can't remember the last time I went near a baby, and an irrational part of me is scared I might hurt her, but Mary gives me an encouraging nod and I sit down beside the bed and reach out a finger towards the baby's hand. She shifts slightly and stretches her little starfish hands before squeezing my finger. I look back at dad in delight and he gives a small smile.

"She's beautiful," I breathe, for the first time seeing the beauty of a baby. I go to pull my finger away to move back, but the baby holds on.

John chuckles. "I think she likes you, Soph."

"The feeling is mutual," I say softly, gazing at her tiny features. It's only been a couple of minutes, but I would happily die for this child. 

She shifts again and lets out a couple of splutters before crying as loud as her little lungs can go. My eyes widen and I pull out of her grip, retreating back from the bed in my surprise. 

"It's okay," Mary says as she rocks and hushes her, "she's just a little hungry, that's all."

"Oh, right," dad stutters, looking uncomfortable, "then I'll guess we'll leave you both to it, then."

"Yeah, alright," John says. "Are you both coming around to ours tomorrow morning, then?"

"I should probably see about wrapping these cases up."

"There'll be cake."

"That's me sold," I say, winking. "I'll see you both tomorrow."

"Bye, love," Mary says as I follow dad back out of the curtain. 

"Was I really that small," I ask as we head down the corridor. "She seems tiny."

"You were half a pound lighter."

I shake my head in disbelief. "It's hard to believe that something so complex can be so small and fragile. I thought I'd prepared myself for having a baby join us, but I had no idea just how unprepared I am - and I'm not even a relation!"

Dad laughs and looks fondly across at me. "I was the same when your mother had you. All the birthplans and parent books in the world can't prepare you for the reality." He looks down. "It's a fact some people handle better than others."

I put a hand on his arm. "I wouldn't want anyone else to be my dad." I pause. "Except maybe John."

Dad smiles. "John and Mary are going to be amazing parents."

"And that baby's going to be extremely multi-talented if she's going to be brought up by an Army Doctor, an assassin and two genius detectives." I give a gasp of mock horror. "I might even have a rival!"