What Is Love?

"Sammy! Guess what?"

"Yeah, Kitty?" Sam asked smiling from her position on the couch.

"Robbie asked me out! We're going to the movies to see Bug Story! He's coming in... 3 hours!"

Sam's smile flickered for a second, but was soon fixed back in place. At the same time a light went out in Sam's eyes and didn't come back. Cat didn't notice, though.

"Okay, Kitten. Let's get you ready."

An hour later, Sam was sitting on the bed in front of Cat, helping Cat apply her makeup.

"So, where're you and the dork going again?" Sam asked, trying to show an active interest.

"I told you, silly, we're going to the movies. And his name is Robbie." Cat corrected.

"Hey, I'm not silly, just forgetful." Sam gasped.

"And he's not a dork, he's a... Robbie."

"And will a Robbie treat you right?" Sam frowned.

"Yes. He likes me." Cat shrugged.

"And how do you feel about him?"

"Help me pick an outfit." Cat said, getting up and shedding the bathrobe she was wearing, revealing a matching pink bra and panties set. She tilted her head thoughtfully. "Sam, how do you know you're in love?"

Sam felt her heart drop. In fact, she felt her heart drop, get kicked in the crotch, and beaten to a pulp with a crowbar. Great. Of course she's in love with a teenage Gepetto.

She took a deep breath. "I can't speak for you, but I know what it feels like. You know you're in love when you think about that person all the time, even if you don't want to. You would do literally anything for them, even if it meant breaking your own heart in the process."

For an awful moment, Cat was silent. "Sammy?"

"Yeah, Kitten?"

"You sure know an awful lot about love."

"Well, I'm in it." Sam half smiled.

"Me too." Cat said, absently. Her phone rang. "It's Robbie." She answered. "Hi, Robbie. I can't come out tonight. Sorry. See you in school on Monday. Bye." Cat said in a more solemn and serious voice than usual, barely even giving the boy on the other end time to speak before hanging up.

"Why did you do that?"

"Because I'm in love. Love makes you do crazy things, Sammy."

"Yeah, love never made me skip on a date with the guy, but, you know, whatever..." Sam shrugged.

"No, crazy like agreeing to go on a date with my friend who I don't like. You know... That way..." Cat whispered.

"Okay, that it has made me do..." At Cat's inquisitive look, she elaborated. "Freddie."

"And who were you in love with?" Cat asked.

"Honestly?" Sam prepared to make up some lie, but then Cat's chocolate brown eyes locked with her sky blue, and she felt any ability to lie to the girl looking at her fade away. "You."

"KK." Cat went back to brushing her hair, as if nothing had ever happened.

"Wait, who did you just cancel for?" Sam asked, sitting up slightly so she wouldn't slip off the bed.

Cat put down the brush and took a deep breath, looking at Sam. The next thing the blonde girl knew, she was on her back with an almost naked redhead on top of her. She feels the lightest pressure on her lips, and the same pressure on her nose and forehead, and then nothing.

"Wanna go see Bug Story with me?" Sam grinned.

"KK." Cat giggled.

"Then get dressed. We'll take my bike. I'll be waiting. Let's hope we don't run into Robbie."