Lustrous Luna

Avery was just a vague silhouette against the starlit sky. The moon shined above, with hints of silver lighting up the darkness. She opened up her small, worn velvet notebook to write about the way the moon and the stars lit up the world above. Music flowed through her ears as she heard the voices of Lana Del Rey and Amy Winehouse. Avery sat on a bench at the local park, the place she felt most alive.

"How it is so that the moon shines so brightly above, but so many are unaware of its greatness? Why is it here that I'm not alone? Is the moon my only friend?"

Thinking of the famous William Shakespeare quote, Avery whispers, "The moon shines bright. In such a night as this. When the sweet wind did gently kiss the trees and they did make no noise, in such a night."

The next morning, Avery ran her hands through her closet looking for an outfit. Black and comfy; that was just the way she liked it.
She pulled on a big, tacky chain necklace, Dr. Martens, and took an elevator down to the first floor. It was an Autumn morning; the orange and florescent yellow leaves flew to the ground and the smell of pumpkin spice filled the air. She headed back down near the park to hike among the trees. She ran along the path, and noticed a small lake at the end. She never crossed this lake before, yet stepped towards it. Sand lay on the ground in the middle of October. The lake was closed and full of algae.

"Gross," she thought as she scrunched up her nose from the bitter smell.

"Crunch, crunch, crunch," said the leaves.

Avery took off her Dr. Martens and ran in the chilly sand and looked out at the colorful trees across the lake. She ran into the lake barefoot, feeling free.

After sunset, Avery walked back down to her small apartment in Brooklyn. The sun dripped down colors of orange and pink and the moon rose in the dark night sky. Avery took her usual walk home and blasted music in her ears. She soon came across the street from her apartment. The old vintage apartment with dark gray siding and mums along the front doorstep. Avery stepped inside past the old lady at the front desk who always smiled and asked Avery about her nighttime adventures.

"A scroll at the park again. How lovely!" said Mrs. Reinfeld.

"I discovered a new trail, Mrs. Reinfeld. I found a beautiful lake with sand."

"With sand in the middle of October?"

"It was closed. But I ran through. The water was nice and cool."

"No, no, I don't want you catching a cold."

"I won't, Mrs. Reinfeld. I promise."

"Good. I wouldn't want that, dear. Have a good night, Avery."

"You too, Mrs. Reinfeld."

Avery took the elevator up to the fifth floor and unlocked her room with her splatter-painted key. The room smelled of cinnamon air freshener and vanilla. She sat down on her burgundy couch, with soft music playing in her ears, and stared up at the ceiling.

"Knock, knock!"

She rarely got any visitors at night.

"What in the world?" thought Avery.

She opened up her door and to her surprise, she saw a package. A small, brown box delivered to her apartment door. It had no label on the box, but it did say AVERY in bold letters. She brought the box inside to her small kitchen island and slowly opened up the box with a knife.

Please don't tell me this is some Halloween gag gift.

It certainly wasn't a gag gift; it was a letter.

Dear Avery,

Please come out with me to visit the Brooklyn Navy Yard Hospital on October 19th. I'm asked to bring another guest, and I thought of you. I always see you running around Brooklyn and find you to be a rad gal. I'd like to visit a dear friend of mine, and don't want to be alone. Will you do honor of accompanying me on this trip?