Skulduggery Pleasant Fanfiction

It was a familiar place. At one time it had been bursting with life and joy, however now it was as dead as he. Not allof it was dead though, something else was there with him. They had obviously not detected him, as they continued to disturb the air quite clumsiliy. As soon as the tresspasser came into view, Skulduggery drew his gun and aimed it square at the man's head.

"Oh sorry, you're, ummm.... You know.... Skudug Presence or somthing." The man stated, scratching his head.

"What are you doing here? Answer me quickly or you won't even be able to regret it." Skulduggery warned, quite calm.

"Oh, umm..." The man paused. "I don't really know why I come here. I guess it's because it reminds me of her. I miss her. Although, I really should never have met her... It was wrong..." The man babbled, seeming slightly delirious.

"Who is this 'her'? You do realise you are tresspassing on my property?" Skulduggery continued.

"Oh, ummm.... You know... Sorry, I'm not good with names. I think you knew her. You were the last person to see her alive, I think..." He was struggling to remember any name, he started to doubt she even had one.

"That doesn't really help, I've been the last person to see a lot of people alive." Skulduggery replied.

"Well, you watched her die."

"That doesn't really help either."

"She had a son, and she lived here. She was married, but it was my son, not his."

"Who hired you?"

"Wha-? I'm coming here because I have memories."

"Stop lying, it's not clever. Unless I'm lying, then it is pure genius, but that is besides the point. Now tell me - who are you, who hired you, and what are you doing on my property?" Skulduggery raised the gun slightly, bringing it back to the attention of the man.

"I never said anything about being hired! I'm just a grieving man, visiting where my girlfriend and son lived! I know it was years ago, but it still hurts!"

"Are you honestly saying that the woman who lived here was your girlfriend, despite she was married, and that the boy was your son?"

"Yes. Why would you care? You're a detective... Does that mean you're investigating their death? Let me tell you, it is clear what happened, Miss Sorrows caught them, then Serpine killed them. Simple as that."

"I know what happened - I was there as they died! She was MY WIFE!!" Skulduggery was losing his temper already.

"At least it wasn't your child."

"HE WAS MY SON!!"

"No, actually he wasn't. We did some genetic tests to be certain. He was my son." He was so calm. At that moment Skulduggery snapped, overcome by rage, and leapt onto the man, throwing them down. "Stop, wait! Let me explain!" The man cried. He snapped his fingers and Skulduggery froze. "It was for your own good. Now you're unable to harm me, allow me to explain."

"Your wife had seen a vision of what you would become, and was terrified. When she found out about my skill she felt you would be saved. I didn't just want to be hired to spend my life making sure you didn't become a monster. She visited me a lot, tried to persuade me to take the job. We became friends, then good friends. She had then taken the view that I could just protect her. She said she wanted a child, my child, as she was afraid of any child of yours having a genetic inclination of becoming a 'monster'. So we had a child, but allowed you to believe it was yours. Mentallly, I guess it was. I always told him I was his uncle. Then, when he was getting a bit older, I wanted to tell him that I was his father, and that it had been for everyone's safety that we hadn't told him. She wouldn't agree to this. She told me to leave. So I did. I was so hurt. That was when China came. I was just turning to go back, when I saw them being dragged away. I ran after them, tried to freeze them, but it was too far away, and too late. I never saw them again." He concluded. Skulduggery was gradually gaining power over his limbs again.