A New Role to Play

But in the days to come, Maleficent and Aurora met all sorts of new challenges. None of them were ever as volatile as the argument that almost tore them apart the first time, but there were still minor disagreements. It was only natural, though. With Aurora now living with Maleficent, they both had to make some adjustments. They had to get used to living together. Additionally, because of the nature of their relationship, Maleficent had to get used to being a mother while Aurora had to navigate being a (somewhat) normal teenager with a slightly more attentive parent than what she had before in her three aunties. They both had a new role to play now, and it was going to take practice.

"Come, Beastie, it is time to wake up!" Maleficent instructed the next morning.

"But, Godmother! It's so early!" Aurora mumbled sleepily.

"Beastie!" Maleficent repeated, in a warning tone. Normally, that sort of voice would've terrified any creature into total and perfect submission, but because Aurora did not fear Maleficent, she did nothing but offer up another tired groan.

The two went back and forth for a bit before Maleficent finally grew impatient enough to lift Aurora clean out of bed.

"Gah!" Aurora shrieked as suddenly found herself in Maleficent's arms instead of her bedding. She clung to Maleficent's neck as if it were a lifeline. "I'm up! I'm up! I'm up!" she cried.

"So you are," Maleficent couldn't stop a smirk as she slowly lowered Aurora back down to the ground.

"Ugh, was that really necessary?" Aurora demanded, shaking a bit as Maleficent finally set her down.

"Yes," Maleficent replied. "If you are going to live in the Moors, you will have to adjust to a new schedule. You will no longer be allowed to sleep in until noon. Perhaps your aunties may have let you get away with such nonsense, but not I! We have much more important things to do!" and then she strode off at a brisk pace, leaving Aurora to heave a final yawn and follow after. She gave a quick, longing look back at the bed she was leaving behind. It was every teenager's favorite part of the day, getting to sleep in, but it seemed like those days were over. Oh well. This was what Aurora had wanted, so she really had nothing else to do but accept her choice and see where it took her...

But those weren't the only little arguments they had. Several happened at night as well.

"But I'm not tired yet, Godmother!" Aurora pleaded with Maleficent as Maleficent bade her to go to bed.

"Doesn't matter," Maleficent replied sternly. "I have already let you stay up an hour past your regular bedtime!"

"Regular bedtime," Aurora echoed with a snort. "I am not a child, Godmother, I need no curfew."

"Oh yes you are," Maleficent replied sharply. "You are 16. Humans do not come of age until they are 18!"

"Oh wow. A two-year gap. What a big difference," Aurora deadpanned.

"Watch your tone," Maleficent warned, narrowing her eyes.

"What happened to the days when you let me wander the Moors to my heart's content?" Aurora asked back.

"Those were the days before you agreed to become my ward," Maleficent replied.

"Agreed to become your ward?" Aurora echoed with a frown.

"The day you agreed to live in the Moors with me," Maleficent clarified. "My house, my rules."

"Ugh! You sound just like my aunts!" Aurora complained.

"Oh, don't tell me you moved here only to escape them!" Maleficent frowned as well, starting to grow wary and annoyed.

"Of course not!" Aurora replied, looking hurt that Maleficent was even suspect such a thing. Was Aurora's love for Maleficent not obvious?

"Then please try to understand," Maleficent's voice and face softened in response to the pained look Aurora had just give her. "I do not mean to bother or offend you, and this is more than just about abiding by my rules. This is how we are going to get along. Boundaries have to be set. It seems to me that we have not yet been fully clear with one another. Let us take some time now to rectify that..." and she and Aurora did just as she had said, trying their best to be totally honest with one another and break through any remaining doubts or misunderstandings. This was new ground for both of them and they were going to need to communicate with one another if they wanted to get it cleared properly.

By the end of their talk, they had come to somewhat of a better understanding. Like Maleficent had said, these rules weren't just in place to bug Aurora, nor were they Maleficent's own feeble attempt at mirroring the way a human mother might behave. They were her way of trying to acclimate Aurora to life as a true citizen of the Moors. Sure, she had visited a few times in the past and sure, she'd grown up on the outskirts of the Moors, but to actually live as an active citizen was quite a different matter entirely. There was a lot of things to get used to. Maleficent's rules were supposed to help her get there. And even beyond making her transition into Moor life easier, the rules were also put in place for her own safety.

"I know you don't want to hear it," Maleficent said the moment Aurora began making that face at her. "But it's true. I'm only trying to protect you, just like we promised we would do back when you agreed to move to the Moors with me..." and that softened Aurora's face, and heart.

"You're right," she finally agreed. "I will try to be more understanding."

"And so will I," Maleficent replied and cautious smiles spread across her and Aurora's faces. Each woman had a new role to play and it was going to be hard, but they were determined to make it work. That was how love was, after all. You didn't just quit after one little fight. You kept going. And if you were really doing it right, you made amends with the person you were fighting with and you moved forward together. After all, it was like Aurora had promised to Maleficent back when they first agreed to move Aurora into the Moors.

"We will look after each other," the princess had said, and both she and Maleficent were bent upon keeping that vow.

The only problem was, when you were an "evil" fairy or a human princess who was the daughter of a mad king, looking after each other wasn't always as easy as it should've been. Each half of the mother-daughter duo was about to face a new role to play again, only these roles would require quite a bit of soul-searching and self-sacrifice.