To Keep Him Happy

"Whoa! That was soo AWESOME!" little Willy exclaimed as pieces of wood and burnt paper fell from the sky.

"Of course it was little dude! I told you it would be!" Mitch said proudly. The 10 year old boy's bomb had successfully blown up one of the headmasters many portraits. He was surprised the old fart didn't try to take any of them with him when he left.

"Guess he was in too much of a hurry to save his own skin." He thought bitterly, a small scowl pressing his features.

"Again! Again! Again!" Willy exclaimed joyfully as he jumped up and down. "Do it again, Mitch!" He clung unto the older boy's arm looking up at him with pure excitement, a crooked toothed smile plastered on his face.

Mitch's bitter thoughts faded along with his scowl. Instead, a smile adorned his features and a chuckle escaped his throat.

"Sorry, Will, we can't. I got no more materials left. Besides, Ms. Martin would have my head if she saw this mess. As much as I don't want to, we gotta clean up." Mitch explained half-heartedly. He really didn't want to, but he didn't want to stress Ms. Martin out any further. Having to watch over a bunch of kids with no actual help... he knows it's not easy for her.

"Awwww." The 5 year old groaned as he crossed his arms in a pout.

"C'mon," Mitch gave him a small nudge "don't whine. We can still have fun. Here..." Mitch bent down and scooped up a handful of debris. "First one to the dumpster wins! Readysetgo!" and with that he took off, barley giving Willy a chance to blink.

"Hey no fair!" Willy laughed as he scooped up some debris in his small hands. "I got little legs!" he shouted after Mitch who was already more than half way there.

"Too bad!" Mitch shouted back as he reached his destination. Willy came trotting behind him just as he threw his small pile in the dumpster.

"That's not fair!" Willy pouted as he stood on his tiptoes to throw his trash away. He turned and pointed an accusing pointing a finger at Mitch. "You cheated!"

"No I didn't! I just gave myself a little head start." the older boy defended with a smirk as he ruffled the young boy's hair. Willy playfully shoved his hand off and shot Mitch a mischievous glare.

"Oh yeah? Well last one back has to finish cleaning by themselves! Readysetgo!" Willy exclaimed as he ran as fast as his little legs could go.

"Hey!" Mitch laughed as he ran after the boy

He could've easily catch up to him. He could've easily surpass him.

But to see him smile. To see him laugh. To see him have some fun in this nightmare of a world...

It was worth cleaning up a mess.