Submersible Pumps

Having a basement under your home is essential as it is the single most important area that provides a lot of free space to store useful items. However, there are chances of this place getting flooded more oftenly. When the basement is flooded, there's a lot of damage done to belongings stored there & it becomes very difficult to take out the water from the flooded basement area. Even the well constructed buildings & houses face the problem of flooded basement. In such a situation, it is vital to use a modern equipment to pump out the water from underlying basement.

Today, with the advent of advanced technology, pumping water from the ground or basement areas take a few minutes & gives you a relaxed feeling without getting worried about damage to stored belongings. This has become possible with the use of revolutionized invention called submersible pumps. A submersible pump, as the name says, is designed to be placed within a tank, well, water, fluid or other container from where the water or fluid has to removed. It is a type of centrifugal pump that combines a pump & motor to an enclosed unit, suitable for submerged installation. The submersible pump is submersed in water & still carry out its intended purpose. The motor in the pump is sealed in a way that prevents any ingress of the media from seeping into the motor casing & causing the motor to fail. Power is supplied to the motor by means of waterproof electrical cable running from the motor to the power source.

Types of Submersible Pumps:

Submersible pumps can be categorized into two main types:

Well pumps

Sump pumps

Well pumps are hung or suspended in a water well on a pipe deeply to take out the water from underneath the ground. These well pumps are powered by AC (alternating current) voltage but in smaller pumps used for low flows of water, DC (direct current) voltage is used. The well pumps are of different types like electric pumps, bladder pumps, borehole pumps etc.

On the other hand, sump pumps are used in pits or sumps & sometimes in lower areas like swimming pools or fountains. They usually consist of grinder pumps, effluent pumps, utility pumps & bilge pumps.

Applications of Submersible Pumps:

There are numerous applications where submersible pumps are used like:

Sewage pumping – for removing sewage from septic tanks

Industrial pumping – for pumping out accumulated water from work sites, basements

Oil industry – for drilling oil from ground deposits

Navy – for pumping out water from flooded on board ships

Irrigation – for supplying water & dewatering from fields

Advantages of Submersible Pumps:

Since these pumps are very popular, there are many advantages of using them that includes:

One of the main advantage is the way it is designed. It is created as a tightly contained unit which is hermetically sealed with watertight gaskets that helps keep water off from the housing. This saves it from getting leaked or any kind of short out electrically.

Second big advantage is the way in which it pumps the water. It inserts direct pressure on the liquid and pushes it through the pipe. This makes the pump move the liquid to greater distances as compared to other forms of pumping.

Being self-primed is another advantage of submersible pumps over others because the substance it is pumping, usually water, is right there at the pump itself.

Finally, it works more efficiently as compared to other pumps just because it is submerged in the liquid instead of being kept foot or two away from the liquid

Disadvantages of Submersible Pumps:

As every coin has two sides, submersible pumps too have certain disadvantages like:

It is hard to identify and repair damages like a rupture. Indeed, if the pump loses its integrity and starts to leak, the components may start getting corroded without any sign being seen since it is submerged

Secondly, due to versatile applications, the cost of submersible pumps is higher than that of an ordinary pumps

What the above discussion boils down to is that weigh the advantages & disadvantages of submersible pumps & choose the right one depending on the budget available & the purpose. Locate a distributor or supplier in your area carrying submersible pumps by doing a little research.