photographs and memories by:ashleighphearl

PHOTOGRAPHS AND MEMORIES (one-shot)

by: ashleighphearl----wattpad

I still had a photograph of you

I've kept it all these years

I guess it would make you laugh to know

It still bring back the tears

From another place in time

When your love was mine . . .

A deep, soulful musical sonata was endlessly playing in my decade old music box. Every time it sings out a melody, a familiar pang of agony crossed my inner depths leaving a scar that was really hard to relinquish.

IT WAS mid-summer of that year when our paths crossed. It was so beautiful, that I thought it would last to eternity somehow. . .

"Smile!" I heard a bubbly woman shout from the top of her lungs. She was holding an old-fashioned camera and began taking pictures. Her subject smile widely exposing their protruding teeth and gums.

She looks so exuberant amidst the scorching heat of the noontime sun. Soon the endless flashing of cameras emanates the open field, totally disregarding the intense heat that started to seep into her skin.

Distant away from her direction, I silently watched her as she carefully took pictures. Everything she came across is her subject, from a youngsters playing outdoors down to a plain rock formation she stumbled upon. Bemused somehow of her unfathomable action, yet it didn't hinder my deep curiosity of taking a step to know her better.

ONE FINE morning, I took my sketchpad and pencil with me. Settling myself under the shade of a bonsai coconut tree, I started doodling.

I was already in the midst of my doodled subject when suddenly I was blinded by a flickering flash of light. And there I saw her constantly taking pictures of me. My lips twitched and formed into an amused grin.

She waved at me and smiled back, then traced the steps towards my direction.

"Hi! I'm sorry if I disturbed you." She said with the tone of sincere apology.

"No worries. It's fine, really!" was my reply. Good thing I didn't stammer. Being near with her sent me shivers, a tingling sensation that I hardly comprehend. Its way beyond my understanding, I guess.

"Fine sketch you got there!" she said referring to my artwork. "Though . . . it kinda resembles me." She added, winking at me

Too late to hide it, I flushed when I realized she took a good look on my works. But seeing her big smile plastered on her face, I knew she wasn't upset. Maybe surprised by my impulsive imagination, I can only guess, other than that it seems completely fine with her.

I just meekly smile at her, realizing my doings.

She smiled back as if she'd understand my muted response. It was a silent communication, a process that only the heart can twig.