#5 | Capeless Heroes

Heroes doesn't need to be strong in order to be a hero. For me, one good deed is considered heroism already.

---✩✩✩---

I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.

- Maya Angelou

---✩✩✩---

Boyfie:
Babe, can't fetch you up tonight. Boss required an emergency meeting later at 7. Sorry. Call me when you arrived home okay? I love you.

Me:
It's okay babe I understand. Talk to you later. I love you too.

I am working as a telemarketer in a BPO company along Ortigas and my shift ends at nine in the evening.

My boyfriend always fetch me up every night because he's concerned about my safety even if I am residing only few kilometers away.

Upon receiving his message, I tapped the Grab application on my phone and booked for a cab.

Luckily, they had an available driver near the area so it only took quite sometime for me to do it.

My shift has ended and I found the grab driver patiently waiting for me in front of the building.

"Good evening Ma'am." He greeted me while smiling the moment I entered the cab.

"Same to you Kuya." I replied. He seemed friendly and nice.

Our journey soon began.

To: Mom, Boyfie
Me:
Image sent

(screen shot of the driver's details as well as the cab's plate number)

Are you doing this as well? I always do this whenever I ride a cab for precautionary measure you know. It's hard to trust people nowadays.

"Can I reroute the cab Ma'am? If you won't mind." He asked looking at me at the rear-view mirror.

"Sure Kuya." I answered assuming that our original route was currently on a heavy traffic.

To my dismay the route we're now taking was unfamiliar to me. I started to panic because the place has only few street lights and seemed isolated.

Oh my God! Is he going to rob and murder me? I thought feeling uneasy.

I took deep breaths and slowly opened my bag to get the pepper spray inside when he suddenly halted the car.

"I'm sorry for the delay Ma'am but I'll just give someone these."

He said while reaching for something inside the paper bag sitting on the passenger seat. Then another one on the cab's floor.

Should I get down now and run?

I took a careful look at the things he grabbed and I noticed that it was a styrofoam that seemed to have foods inside and a bottle of mineral water.

I got curious so I leaned at the car's window to see where he's heading. And to my surprise, he gave it to a homeless man sleeping on the cold pavement.

The panic I felt a while ago disappeared in an instant.

I judged him too soon. I thought to myself.

He repeated the process whenever we saw another homeless person until there's nothing left.

"How long have you been doing this charity work Kuya?" I asked.

"About a year now Ma'am. Actually almost half of the Grab drivers were doing this to at least satiate their hunger before going to sleep." He replied.

Wow.

"You formed an organization to do charity works?"

"Yes. We donate two percent of our daily income so we could buy food packs for them."

"That's so nice of you all. Sorry Kuya for judging you too early. I thought you're planning something not nice."

He smiled. "It's okay Ma'am. Actually you're not the first person to say that. But I thanked you because you let me reroute and stop once in a while."

I smiled back. "You're doing something nice so it's fine."

We had lots of conversation until we finally reached my destination. My fare is just one hundred eighty pesos but I gave him a one thousand peso bill.

He was counting my change but I stopped him.

"I'll just donate the change to your organization Kuya." I smiled.

"Thank you Ma'am. This will help a lot." Then he bid goodbye.

It felt good to meet an ordinary person that's willing to help the poorest of the poor in their own way.

Me:
Home now babe. Safe and sound. Call me when you're free. I need to tell you something.

A/N: This story is inspired by true events. If you happen to remember Ate Girl's story years ago (I forgot her name) that has gone viral on Facebook you can relate to this one. I made up the whole scenario based on her story (how I remembered it) so that it will somehow be alike. Credit goes to her. 😊💜