3. From frying pan to the fire

LADY BANBURY was hosting a ball, and it was all the rage. Two balls In a year and It was rumored that her invitation was highly coveted. Only the very best would you find in her ball. Her mama was making a fuss over her, directing her lady's maid as she sees fit. She wanted Julia to wear an ivory gown with a plunging neckline, whatever her mother could be thinking. Julia was excited, Victoria would come to the ball. They had each listed some beaus they set their cap for. Julia wanted John Wakefield, the duke of Wychford because he was tall and dandyish and the earl of Tonfield. Someone who would marry her and then let her be. Once she produced the heir and the spare she would be left to her own devices, to do as she wished with enough money to fill her pockets. Someone who wouldn't challenge her or demand more from her.

~~~~

JULIA'S DANCE CARD was almost full. Her next dance was with viscount  Morfex. He was a nice fellow offering to get her drink and all that, but he was old enough to be her father! How he managed to compel her to save a dance for him she would never know. He had asked for permission to court her, and her mother had profusely refused, which she is eternally grateful for.
The next dance was about to start, which leaves Julia with no choice but to hide in the corner. Now she is sulking because she was missing the fun part of the ball.

The next dance was a waltz! A waltz! Julia shivered just thinking about it. She will die a hundred times before she even attempted to dance the waltz with viscount Morfex

"Whatever could you be doing here skulking?" Victoria said, striding towards her.

Julia just scowled at her and continued her mission. At least that was what she thought she was doing.

"I would give my whole fortune just to know what is going on in your head," Victoria said chuckling.

"You could, but your whole fortune comprises only your dowry, which I might point out to you, might not even be yours once you marry and your husband gets his hands on them." Julia pointed out, smirking at her friend.

With a big scowl on her face, Victoria muttered, "Since I am probably not married. Which you kindly pointed out, and I am still under the guardianship of my brother, who has a huge fortune. By being related, I could say I also have a fortune." She finished, grinning like she had just fought a battle and came out the victor.

"Whatever makes you sleep at night," Julia muttered. She could spot Viscount Morfex; he was looking for her, asking about her. His head shifting this way and that. He was moving fast, heading towards her direction. Morfex would spot her. Panicking Julia grabbed unto Victoria's arm, "Vicky! Help, please do something before Viscount Morfex spots me," She cried out desperately, looking around for any escape.

"Calm down!" Victoria said. "I think I spot my brother. He won't desperately mind what I am about to do now if he gives me the opportunity to explain I think he would make a very good ally," Vicky said and grasped Julia's hand, hurrying her over to her brother.

Before Julia could even muster up any protest why this was probably a terrible idea, she found herself face to face with Sebastian, and before she could even deny whatever Vicky was telling her brother, which she wasn't listening to because all the while she was straining herself, standing on her tiptoe looking over people's heads for Viscount Morfex.

Julia found herself in a dance of waltz! with no other than the duke of Hanton From the frying pan to the fire. At least she was done hiding from viscount Morfex for the meantime.

Morfex finally found her and was looking at Julia with a forlorn expression written all over his face. Julia bent her head and tried to avoid his gaze. She wouldn't pity him. No! Julia tried blocking him from her line of sight by gazing at Sebastian but found him already watching her with a deep frown marring his face.