Chapter One-A Feeling

The brisk wind blew spray from the saltwater into Brielle's face as she sat on the edge of the dock. It was a cloudy day, and the grey sky made everything look dark and shadowed. Brielle and Reagan were watching Reagan's father fish out in the harbor on his small boat while eating buttered bread, apples, and strawberries they had grown and harvested on their small farm their families shared. The girls were very good friends and had grown up with each other. Reagan Murphy and Brielle Moore had a very special connection because they shared every single thing between them. So, when Brielle felt that her next birthday wasn't going to go so well (which was indeed the next day), she told Reagan.

     "Hmm, that's new. Your birthdays have been perfectly fine for the last 12 years, why should the next one be different?" Reagan replied.

     "I don't know, but I just had that thought. I figured I should share it." Brielle said "oh look, your father is heading back in. Let's go meet him with his lunch" They scrambled to get up and put their things in the basket quickly, for they still had to hurry down the long shoreline. They set off walking at a fast pace. Bustling through the fish markets, they saw his boat slowing coming back in.

     "Come on!" Reagan said starting to run "I don't want to be late!" Brielle started running too. She pushed a little harder so she was in front of Reagan, who smiled and knew she wanted to race. They flew through the streets laughing as they ran, but heard a loud shrill whistle and stopped.

     "Hey girls! Stop running! I don't want you bumping into people," a nearby policeman said, who was patrolling the market. The girls blushed and nodded as they slowed down.

     "Yes, Mr. O'Brien." They chorused. Brielle continued walking fast until they emerged out into an open area, where all the boats could be seen docked for a few miles on the edge of Talamh an Cheoil, the Land of Music, where Brielle and Reagan lived. The sun had come out, so when a small green and orange row boat pulled into its spot, its bright colors reflected upon the water. They hurried over to the boat where Reagan's father could be seen tying up his craft.

     "Father! Look here! We have your lunch!" Reagan said excitedly waving the picnic basket. The lid opened, and the contents started to spill out. Brielle lunged for it and grabbed bread and strawberries right before the hit the ground.

     "Whoops! Sorry, at least Brielle got it though." Reagan said her cheeks turning red. Mr. Murphy raised an eyebrow but smiled.

     "That's ok, thanks for my lunch darling, what would I do without you?" He said extending his arms out for a hug. Reagan jumped into the hug.

     "And Brielle, your quick skills have saved my lunch!" he proclaimed his eyes shining in the light. Brielle giggled. Mr. Murphy was a jolly man, and whenever he was truly happy, his light blue eyes twinkled, just like Reagan. They looked astonishingly alike, they both had red hair and freckles like many on Ceardaíocht. While Brielle had light blond curly hair and green eyes and freckles only a handful had. The island had plenty of exotic fish that Skat and Mimea, the other islands, did not have. Which is why Mr. Murphy fished, so he could trade it with foreigners that came.

     "Father, did you catch lots of fish today?" Reagan asked curiously. Her and Brielle knew that if he didn't catch fish it was bad for business.

     "As a matter of fact, I did and I caught a humongous bass for us! I won't be selling this one. I'm going to keep it for tomorrow's birthday celebration for Brielle!" He said as he pulled a massive fish out of his bucket.

     "Wow, Father!" Reagan said excitedly," Tomorrow is going to be a great birthday for you, Brielle!" Brielle smiled, even though she didn't really feel like it. She fiddled with the intricate silver bracelet her older brother had given her for Nollaig last year, right before he had fallen into an icy lake the next day and drowned. She still missed him and felt sad when it was time to give gifts at that holiday time. But she knew he would want her to be happy, so she brushed away the sadness, and buried it down, just as quickly at had come so that her friend never saw her smile falter for one sad moment.

A/N: I have this published on Quotev too so go check out my other quizzes and polls I have made there! Enjoyed this chapter? Vote for the story and comment about what you liked or what you didn't like, as long as it is constructive criticism . 

Thanks -  SclarkMusician