2. Seeing Red

The room was deathly silent.

'N.....Naruto?'
Tsunade stared into the boy's eyes, but it was almost as if he wasn't really there. His normally sparkling, blue eyes were dulled and emotionless. The Fifth Hokage had only seen him this way once before, and that was when he first heard about his old sensei, Jiriya's death. Back then there was someone to calm him down. That person this time happened to be the one who was the cause of his rage.

'HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN?!' he screamed, making Tsunade flinch. 'HE WAS YOUR SUBORDINATE. YOU CHOSE HIM FOR THIS MISSION. YOU COULD'VE SENT IN BACKUP. YOU COULD'VE STOPPED HIM FROM GOING ON THIS MISSION. YOU COULD'VE TOLD HIM TO COME BACK. SO IT'S YOUR FAULT THAT HE WENT ON THIS MISSION AND GOT....'

He trailed off there, almost as if he couldn't bear to say what came next.

Sai came over and put his hand on Naruto's shoulder. He could remember all too well what it's like to lose someone close to you.

'Naruto, you need to calm down and think rationally about this.' he said, patting Naruto's shoulder in an attempt to be soothing. 'Kakashi-sensei was a Jounin, and an exceptional one at that. It was his choice to go on this mission, not Lady Tsunade's, so you shouldn't try to blame her.'

'Stop referring to him in the past tense.' Naruto whispered hoarsely. 'It's too soon......I can't.....'

Naruto could feel the anger inside him increasing, and, not wanting to hurt anyone, he leapt out the window and into the forest. He still didn't know how well he could keep the nine tails under control.

He couldn't feel any tears coming, however, and is slightly surprised. He had never been known for keeping his emotions in check, so why now?

Suddenly he heard something running alongside him. 'Pakkun?'

The small ninja pug was keeping pace easily with Naruto, even at full speed. 'Naruto,' he said gravely. 'I've recieved notice from Bull.'

Naruto glanced briefley over at the dog, not really paying much attention. When he looked at him, all he could think about was the Jounin who summoned him.

'Naruto, Kakashi may still be alive.'

A/N I'm so very sorry that this was so short and crappy, but I really wanted to update for the few lovely people who wanted it!! (Everyone's probably forgotten about this story by now!!) Also, I really didn't expect anyone to read this, which is why I had no new chapter ready so apologies!! ^-^ Also just in case you didn't realise, this takes place a little while after Pein's attack on the leaf village, so Naruto has Sage Mode but not tailed beast sorry for the confuddlement!!