CHAPTER SEVEN

1964

1964

A week had gone by since maria had talked to kit, or grace. Grace got out of solitary, and kit and grace had been hanging out.

-
Kit and grace sat in the common area.

"So, Maria really betrayed your like that?" Kit asked. Grace frowned, nodding.

"I'm sorry, that's horrible grace." Kit said. Grace shrugged, she had gotten over it, but she still wasn't gonna speak to Maria.

"Your her childhood friend, right?" Grace asked. Kit glanced over at maria, who was talking to sister jude.

"Yeah, ever since she found that out she hasn't been talking to me. Which sucks, she's the only person I know in here." Kit sighed. Grace grabbed ahold of his hand, and squeezed a tiny bit.

"You know me, now." Grace smiled. Kit returned the smile, making a new friend. A friend that would maybe, just maybe believe his story.

"Whats your story, grace?" Kit asked. Grace let go of kits hand, fiddling with her fingers. She was unsure, she was scared that he wouldn't like her anymore.

"My dad.." she hadn't said the word dad in so long.

"My dad was sexually abusive, and I couldn't take it anymore." Grace said, kit noticed that she didn't wanna say more than that.

"Oh." Kit said lowly.

"And my stepmom, she saw me kill my dad. So I had to kill her too." Grace blurted out. Kit regrabbed her hand, and placed a soft, gentle kiss on her fingers.

"You don't have to explain to me. I'm on your side." Grace smiled at his kindness. Kit glanced at the spot where sister jude and Maria were, and they weren't there anymore. For the last week, he had been looking at maria. Hoping she'd be looking back, at least once.

"Everyone, into your rooms now!" Sister jude yelled. Everyone sighed, and did as she said. Kit and graces rooms were right next to eachother—wait, backtrack. They didn't have the luxury of rooms, they had cold, dirty cells. What people thought they deserved. Kit put his hand against the wall, and Grace did the same.

"Goodnight, Kit." Grace whispered. Kit smiled to himself, finally making a friend. He rested his hand next to his side, and sleeping felt..nicer knowing he wasn't alone. As for grace, she kept her hand that kit kissed up to her chest, and closed her eyes.

-
The next morning..

Maria decided that today would be the day to talk to kit. She knew her father, that he wasn't capable of hurting a fly. Her father and Kit had the exact same story, so they both could be innocent, right? Maria took that small, delicate piece of hope with her to kits cell. It was early enough where sister jude and Mary Eunice wouldn't be up to wake everyone up yet, and Maria had keys for everyone's cell. She knew she'd have to sneak Kit out of his cell for a moment to have a private conversation with him. She slowly, and quietly unlocked his lock on the cell. She opened it slightly, even in the dark she could see his sleeping face. She looked behind her, and to the sides to make sure nobody was watching her. She squatted down next to him, shaking him so he'd wake.

"Wha-" Kit was about to yell, not knowing who it was but Maria put her hand over his mouth.

"It's me, maria." Maria said. Kit pulled down her hood, making sure. He smiled at her black hair, just like how it was when they were kids. That made him feel like home, everything about Maria did.

"What's up?" Kit asked, making sure to keep his voice down.

"I'm gonna sneak you out for a second, just so we can talk." Maria replied.

-

Graces eyes opened, hearing voices. She knew the voices were close, cause she could identity them both. Kit and Maria. So, they'd have to be at kits cell.

"Cmon, Kit. We don't have much time."

She realized what was happening. Maria was gonna sneak Kit out, and that hit her hard. She thought about it long and hard. She didn't wanna get kit in trouble, but she did want revenge on Maria. So, it was official. She was gonna rat on maria to sister jude, and she wouldn't need any witnesses to back her up, cause sister jude hated Maria Anyways. Everyone knew that. So one word to sister jude, even a lie, sister jude would believe it. Grace smiled to herself, happy about the plan she made.

-
Maria led kit to the kitchen, which was a few halls down from the cells, so nobody could hear them.

"Alright, so I've been meaning to talk to you." Maria said. Kit laughed.

"I was hoping you'd say that."

Maria exhaled.

"I believe my father could never hurt anyone. Not even an evil person. So, I think I believe you, kit."

Kit smiled so big, and his eyes lit up. She said she thought she believed him, but that was a step further than they were before.

"Thank you so much, maria." Kit hugged her, burying his face into her shoulder.

"Your welcome, kitty." Maria called kit his nickname from their childhood, and that made him feel more like home.

"Alright, we should get you back to bed." Maria said. She glanced over at the clock, seeing it's less than five minutes when sister jude and mary Eunice awake.

"fuck." Maria whispered. She grabbed kits hand, and darted through the halls. She forgot about how far she went from the cells, it would take about seven minutes to get back.

-
Grace wasn't getting impatient, cause she knew she'd get what she wanted; Maria in trouble. She sprung up from the floor, shoving her head between the bars. She was never that happy to see sister jude, never.

"Sister jude!" Grace yelled. Sister jude unlocked the door next to graces; which was kits room. And, he wasn't there. Sister jude looked at grace, looking for an answer.

"I saw Maria force kit out of his cell about ten minutes ago." Grace said. Sister jude didn't need another word out of grace, she believed her.

-
Maria and Kit finally got back to the cells, and Maria stopped in her tracks seeing mary Eunice and sister jude.

"Sister Maria, I'm gonna need you to come with me." That was the first, and last time sister jude ever called Maria by 'sister'

———————————————————————
poor Maria :(