Prologue

He gripped his bow steadily despite the icy wind. Carefully, he nocked an arrow to his bow and pulled it silently back, sighting along it's shaft. Taking a long slow breath, he loosed his arrow... it flew straight and true. Just before it hit it's mark however, a yell shattered the stillness of the wintery woods causing the deer to bolt. With a thunk, his arrow hit the tree behind where his prey had just stood...but he no longer cared.

Wasting no time he dropped down from his perch in the tree and took off in the direction of the yell. He'd know that voice anywhere and it sounded like it was in trouble.

Snow crunched beneath his boots as he ran hastily through the icy powder. He was getting closer now and just over the hill he could hear not only shouts but the sound of a scuffle. He slipped and slid, scrambling up the hill in his haste. As he reached the top abruptly the noises ceased. Panting from his run he looked down from the crest of the hill. Wide eyed, his heart skipped a beat and his breath caught in his throat at the horror below.

A massive wolf, black as the night, stood over the torn form of a man, a pool of red staining the snow beneath him. It lifted its snarling face from the man's throat, blood dripping from it's mouth.

"NO!!" Cried the man on the hill. He fumbled for an arrow then quickly nocked it and let it fly. The Wolf dodged then took off!

Practically sliding down the hill the man rushed to the still, bloodied body below. He was dead. "Brother" choked the first man, tears welling up behind his blue-gray eyes.

Slowly rising from a crouch, he started off after the wolf. Rage boiled up inside him and he saw red. Small crimson splatters stood out in harsh contrast against the glistening white snow marking the beast's trail. It was injured, it couldn't have gone that far, thought the man before bolting off after it. Reaching to the quiver on his back he drew an arrow as he ran. The beast would die! Tonight!

He followed the blood trail out into a clearing. There, nearing the far end, ran the wolf. Drawing back his bow he paused his chase only just long enough to shoot. It was a long shot, too far for most, but his years of practice and skill payed off. The arrow found it mark and the wolf fell, mid-run, face-first into the snow. Nocking another arrow as he went, the man quickly closed the distance. This third arrow pierced straight through the heart, killing the wolf almost instantly.

Suddenly, a cracking and popping noise began to come from the wolf as it's lifeless form began to move and change on its own. The man stumbled backwards in fear and shock as the dead wolf transformed before his very eyes! There, where the massive black beast had been, now lay the form of a man... bruised and bleeding, and naked as the day he was born.

"So the old legends are true?!" The hunter gasped. "They do exist."

—————
A/N:
Hey all! Thanks for taking the time to check out my new story! This is the sequel to "caught in the crossfire" so if you haven't read that one yet go check it out. As always, comment, vote, and if you haven't yet then feel free to follow me to get notified of updates :) Enjoy!