Frivolous Conversation

'Who could have thought I would actually tire of moving in circles for half an hour,' I remark sarcastically in my mind. 'Surely it isn't because of the four hours of small talk I've had to maintain. Plus the fact that somewhere in this bloody manor, Seraphina is doing something much more fun than I. No, the very idea is purely outrageous. Mind-numbing conversations about trade sanctions is much, much better than whatever she's doing.'

My displeasure must have shown, because once my partner -- Edmund Jameson Skuyler -- noticed his face fell into one of slight offense "Did I say something wrong? What is bothering you, My Lady?" He inquires, knowing full well that he hadn't said anything wrong or offensive at all- well not technically. Apparently rambling about unfair trade policies is a perfectly acceptable way to entertain a Lady.

Even now my brothers life continues to surprise me. Not often pleasantly, mind you.

Skuyler goes on talking, reabsorbed into his one sided conversation, leaving me to ponder back on the unintentional reminder of my dear brother.

I wasn't born with the Mithridates name, no. Far from it. For the first 6 years of my life I lived in alleys and sweatshops, unaware of the possibility of a better life. Until Gabriel Matthew Mithridates- or Matt as I called him- went and got himself lost around the east end at the tender age of 9. After a while of fearful scampering and dodging, he found my 'home'. We both were so dumbfounded at the possibility of the other existing, being the ignorant children we were.

Seeing that I was not trying to catch him, and wasn't wearing a perverted leer, he decided that I wasn't a threat; and elected to share my shelter with me, whether I liked it or not. You can imagine that a lost and scared nine year old wouldn't exactly care that a younger child wouldn't like him trespassing on the only safe place he could find. I was angry and scared at first, earning me the nickname 'Grumpy' after the dwarf from the Brothers Grimm tale of Snow White.

After a while, we became accustomed to the others existence. I would bring back 20 cents or so from the sweatshop then get what food I could for Matt- as I preferred to scavenge anyway, I knew a few generous people in the various thieving crews, who picked the life out of necessity.

After 3 weeks or so, Matt is finally spotted by someone honest, and is soon brought to his family. He refused to leave me in our alley however, and practically dragged me with him when the kind man brought us back among polite society. As a child who knew nothing of strange people and strange territory, you learn to keep to what you are familiar with, otherwise you are stranded without hope. So, I made all the fuss I could when Matt dragged me out of our den. But Matt had seen my life well enough to know that there was no way he would just let me resume my normal lifestyle if he could do anything about it.

My attitude quickly changed however once I realized that Matt was truly leaving, and unless I went with him, I would never see him again. We both threw such a fuss in public that his parents had no choice but to at least bring me home, in order to save face.

Deciding to adopt me, both to appease Matt and also to give a boost to their social reputation, my new parents gave me a bedroom in the attic. Contrary to what you would think, I loved it. It was as cozy as it was unfurnished ironically. Matt and I didn't need rugs and chairs to play- we didn't even need toys- all we needed and wanted was each other. Since Matt had made such a fuss about "Can we keep her please, oh please?! She will be good I promise, she can learn everything. I will teach her and play with her and read her stories-" Our parents allowed him to name me (Y/N). And thus I was no longer simple Grumpy that survives in an alley, I was (Y/N) Victoria Trinity Mithridates, daughter of Stephen Mithridates and Clarity Baullem.

---------

Absentmindedly, I swished my flute of lemonade around in lazy circles, watching the gold beverage knock against the glass- so very, obviously, horribly bored.