3: The Eighth Knot

THREE: THE EIGHTH KNOT
MARCH 14
KATE DIAMOND

"I WANT TO BE CLEAR; I have no business standing here," Levi Heart said, leaning against the front of Dr. K's desk and looking over a classroom full of second-semester seniors.

It was Monday morning and Kate's first Magical Beings class since Dr. K's death. After Spring Break was over and students returned, the Headmistress—Kate's mother, Queen Clarion—brought Levi Heart on. After all, who better to teach the remainder of Dr. K's lessons on Magical Beings than the Beast Tamer himself?

Levi was already on hiatus from his tour and agreed to fill the position in order to keep a close eye on his brother—one of the Eight. It was weird, Kate thought, seeing Levi in the spot where Dr. K should have been. And it was apparent from the way Levi shifted his weight between his feet and fidgeted with the tie knotted crooked around his neck that he wasn't very comfortable in his new role.

Sitting in the seat between Zach Crawford and Wil Diamond, Kate couldn't help when her gaze began to wander—all the way to the empty seat in the middle of the room.

Cam's seat.

Unlike Kate and the others, Cam didn't return from the old boarding house. He gave himself to his father and no one had heard from him since. Kate had cried all the tears she could cry and thrown all the fits she could throw about it. She was exhausted.

Levi let out a chuckle—the third time since he'd been standing there—and then he cleared his throat. "Long story short, Queen C asked if I could come help out and— Oh my God. Please don't ever call Her Majesty, Queen C." He took a deep breath and in it, mumbled, "shit."

Around the room, people laughed. Kate wasn't one of them.

"Look, I'm just trying to make this transition as easy as possible. Dr. K was a great man—probably the best man I ever knew—and I'm just trying to honor him and this program that he spent so long building. It's going to be one of those learn as we go things but hopefully, I don't screw it up. And I know this is all really confusing for you guys. I'm still trying to figure it out myself. Dr. K was the one who got me into fighting beasts. And when Liam and I lost our parents a few years ago, Dr. K helped us in more ways than I ever could thank him for."

Kate looked over to Liam who was paying as close attention to his brother as everyone else. He must have sensed her staring because he looked over her way and she quickly turned back, embarrassed.

They'd just come back from vacation together and as though she wasn't confused enough already, she began questioning things between them. Despite whatever heartbreak she felt about Cam, she knew things with Liam were evolving. At one point during the trip, she even caught them flirting. They hardly spoke since coming back.

As long as she'd known him, Liam was the sweet, fun friend that always knew what to say. He was her rock. Vacation only made her more certain of that. During her week-long spiral of grief, Liam was the only one who brought pieces of the Old Kate out. He was the only one that helped her feel halfway to normal. But then Sunday rolled around and they things were different.

Not just with Kate and Liam but with each of the Eight. Logan Rogers hadn't been seen since Dr. K's funeral and as far as Kate knew, never returned to school. He was the one closest to Cam. He knew him in ways that even Kate didn't. She wondered if he'd stay away forever.

The old boarding house changed them. Kate didn't know if they'd ever get back to the people they used to be.

"So that's my little introduction," Levi said after some time, messing with his tie again. "So let's get started on the lesson and make the best of the time we have, yeah?"