Chapter 10

Pippa’s POV

My eyes opened slowly and the previous night came flooding back to me. The shouting, the fighting, the revelations. I remembered how hurt Liam looked when I revealed I’d been going behind his back. I felt sick with guilt. I picked up my phone from the bed next to me to see if he’d called. He hadn’t. My heart sank. I got up and realised I had fallen asleep in my clothes from the night before. I wandered downstairs and saw Charles asleep on the sofa. He was fiercely protective of me and that was part of what made us so close. Nobody understood. I slipped under his arm and lay next to him on our parents’ giant sofa wondering what had happened to the two little kids that had played in the garden for hours on end without a care in the world. Eight tours of Afghan between us, that’s what. We started so young and it became all we had ever known and it was all I had wanted. I lay there thinking for ages until Charles stirred and opened his eyes slowly.

“Pip?” He whispered and I nodded. “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine.” I replied and he raised his eyebrows. “Ok, I’m not fine but I’m nearly fine.”

“You’re not even close to nearly fucking fine!”

“I tried to have Liam and the Army. Now, I stand to lose both! You wouldn’t be fucking fine!”

“Why are you bothered about Liam? He is master of fuckmuppetry when he’s not in Afghan and he messes you about?! Does he have some redeeming quality that I don’t know about?”

“You can’t choose who you fall in love with, Charles.”

“I don’t believe you are in love with him Pip. You’re in love with the idea of him but you’re not in love with him.”

“I said that to you a million times with Becky and you didn’t listen!”

“But Becky was different, I had a duty to her.”

“You knocked her up and felt you had to stay with her because of that. She fucked someone else and then somehow you got the blame in the divorce?! He fucks someone else but we’re thrown back together by a life-or-death situation but I’ll get the blame in the divorce because I’m a liar. I think we both have terrible taste in spouses!”