Chapter One

Chapter One

THE COFFEE had gone cold by the time the sun had begun to rise. The bitterness was forgotten as the warmth crawled across my face through my kitchen window. I could feel the reflection of the morning sunlight turn my eyes all shades of pink, purple and orange, cascading a masterpiece of swirling pastels across my face that caused me to squint at the sudden brightness. I relished at the moment, finding blissful peace in the few seconds it took for my eyes to adjust. It was a new day, a different day. A different day filled with variables and one constant, like a math equation. The constant in the equation of my life was fear. I lived with a paranoid voice that rambled at the back of my mind. It kept me on edge, tried to preserve my life for as long as it could with its worried nagging. Keep moving, it's not safe. I couldn't live a normal life with that voice, but I dealt with it. I had to, or I'd be exposed. Exposure was something I definitely did not want, whatsoever.

When the melodic birds began to welcome the rising sun, I poured the cold, half-gone coffee down the sink. I left the mug upside down on the draining board. Once showered and dressed, I took a deep breath and wandered around my tiny, temporary home that smelled of pine. The walls were a cream colour, bare of pictures and décor. The furniture in each room was made of strong wood and was probably older than me. I let out a chuckle. As if.

I left the small cottage that I found shelter in. For the first time in, what seemed like, forever I had felt secure, which sent the paranoid voice off like a fire alarm. Security meant comfortability, comfort meant letting my guard down. Security basically meant that The Beast would find me sooner, rather than later. I had to move on. Move north. The snow was great at hiding scents and rich humans always kept cabins. It wouldn't be hard to lay low, especially if the snow was heavy. Plus, Dad used to tell me about an old friend of his that lived in the mountains. Not that I had wanted to endanger them like I had the people of Oliver's pack.

The compound, in which my tiny temporary home lived on the edge of, was wide awake and bursting with animated chatter. The people around me, who had finally realised I wasn't the threat, waved and smiled as we passed one another. Mornings usually started early here, whether it be for combat training for the older wolves, schooling for the pups or people getting their chores out of the way. I felt a pang of guilt which each smile I had received. I had overstayed my welcome. The safer I felt, the more these people were put at risk. I couldn't imagine what would happen if anyone found them harbouring me, of the blood that would drench the soil. I would not allow that to happen. I bolted through the grounds, eager to be rid of their guilt-inducing smiles.

The main house of the compound stood proud and tall and could easily house up to one hundred people. I was offered a room there when I first sought out the Alpha of this region, but I had to decline. I could not risk waking anyone if I needed to leave suddenly in the night as they might try to convince me to stay or think anything of me, though I was sure I could use a booty call as an excuse if needed be. I would've preferred to crawl through broken glass rather than telling Lucille I was sneaking out to a booty call.

The front door was made from mahogany, adorned with a singular silver wolf knocker with red gems for eyes. I pushed against the heavy wooden door open and headed straight down the corridor into the foyer, meeting the eyes of all the oil painted Alphas of the packs past that hung on the wooden panelled walls. Lucille, the Luna of the pack, was dusting the marble statues and decorations in the foyer, whistling a soft tune to herself. Hearing my footsteps, her song came to a halt. Her brows furrowed, and her eyes watched me with apprehension. She knew I was planning on leaving. I could see it in her face. Her hill green eyes reminded me of home, in the best way possible. I cast my gaze down to my feet.