Into the Under

Sarah closed the door of the building behind Mike and Kevin as they helped Don into the building. They'd passed by multiple buildings, but Renee had led them to a solid cinderblock building with US Mail logos on it, climbing the steps and getting Charlie to help her wrench the door open.

With the door shut and the wind cut off Sarah felt immediately warmer.

Everyone stood in the room, shivering, Lori holding the baby,  who immediately began squirming and holding her arms out to Sarah.

Lori reluctantly handed the baby off to Sarah when Sarah moved over to her.

Charlie and Renee opened doors, looking inside.

"Office," Charlie said.

"Back room, be right back," Renee said.

"How you doing, Don?" Mike asked. Like everyone else, he was shivering from being drenched.

"Better. Still feel weak and shaky though," The older man said. He sighed heavily and sat down in a chair that was part of a line of them against the wall. Sarah noticed he was sitting below a faded and slightly worn poster that stated that the zip code was APO 09026 and that any mail that was not written correspondence was strictly forbidden. No packages of any sort would be delivered or shipped out. The poster to the left was a woman talking to a man on the phone with a shadowy menacing figure all in black listening to a different phone with the phrase "OPSEC! IVAN IS LISTENING!" on the top.

That made her frown. That seemed out of place.

Renee came back through the door, brushing off her hands. "Found it."

"Found what?" Richard asked, turning from where he was looking in the drawers.

"What I was hoping for," She turned to Charlie. "Did you see anything that looked like the supervisor's office?"

Charlie pointed at a door. "That one right there. Says Post Master General on the nameplate."

Renee moved past everyone. "Don't get too comfortable," she warned.

"What is she talking about?" Mike asked, looking irritated.

Don just shrugged, breathing heavily.

Outside the lightning struck so close it made the boarded up windows rattle.

"NO!" the baby shouted, then laughed.

"Wish I was like her and just saw this as one big adventure," Richard mused.

"It is," Charlie said, smiling. "But like all adventures, eventually you get taken to Isengard."

That made Don and Mike laugh. Sarah frowned, not getting the joke, but forgot about it when Renee came back with a clipboard and a ring of keys.

"All right. We're good. Beds for twenty-six people, supplies. Water and air filtration, air-lock, decon showers," She said, looking at the clipboard. She put the keys in her mouth, flipped the plastic covered paper, and took the keys out of her mouth. "All right, last inspection was 1985, we're talking about long shelf-life supplies, but we'll take whatever we can get."

She looked up and grinned. "Should have thought about this when we got here," she said, moving over by the door that led to the back room.

"Thought of what? What are you talking about?" Mike asked.

Renee stopped next to the wall, turning and looking at Mike with a grin. She slowly pointed up above her head.

FALLOUT SHELTER
40 Max Cap