Chapter Seven

Six months. Six months have passed since the death of Greg Dewey. Things have changed. We still have Cassandra's rules but we now also have Allie's. Midnight curfew, mandatory weekly town meetings and the community doctrine: those who don't work, don't eat. Fair but harsh. People have gotten used to the new rules but some still disagree with how things are done here. As for me, I don't care- as long as I get three meals a day. Over the last few months, I haven't really cared for much. It's like nothing matters but they do. Confusing, I know. On the bright side, I don't get as mad as before with dumb things. Currently, we are all at the church, Gwen giving us updates.

"Oh, and finally, I hope to see you all tomorrow for movie night." Gwen finishes, walking off the stage.

"Thank you, Gwen. Okay, I just want to remind everyone that this Thursday is Thanksgiving, so, uh, bring all your recipes to Will and he will make sure you have the correct ingredients. Next, we have an update on the Resource Committee." Speaks Allie.

"What about the committee on going home?" Lexi voices from her seat. Personally, I don't want to go back. Well, I do but not back to the life I had. Not the one where my parents beat me.

"Gordie and Bean promised me a report on Thursday." Allie shares, sighing.

"Are we going home?" Lexi asks, sounding nervous.

"Not before Thursday." Allie assures, a few laughing.

"So we're all going to fucking starve?" A girl asks after Will tells us that we only have enough food to last until next summer.

"No. We have a plan. Grizz?" Allie says firmly. Grizz stands from his spot on the pew.

"Uh, so after Thanksgiving, I'm going to lead a search party to look for farming land and alternative food supplies." No. No, not after what happened last time. "If anyone wants to join me, I'm looking for four or five volunteers." 

"You must be fucking crazy if you think I'm going to let you go out there again. ESPECIALLY after last time!" I shout, pissed that he's actually going to do this and that I can't actually stop him. Knowing Grizz, he already has his mind set on going, leaving little room for doubt.

"Look, we all know what happened to Emily. This is different this time, we know what to expect." Grizz reassures. Glaring in disgust, I stand and walk out the church.

~~~~~

"What's up?" I ask into my phone. Allie called me.

"It's Harry. He hasn't been showing up for work. Seeing as you're the closest one to him, could you come with me and the guys to try and persuade him?" Allie questions. Immediately, I agree, saying that I'll meet them outside his house.

~~~~~

"Wait here." I tell Allie, Shoe and Jason. They do as I say and wait in the front part of Harry's room as I carry on to walk to his bed. He lays there, looking tired of everything, just like I was months ago. His room has crap everywhere- rubbish, clothes, food wrappers. "Harry?" I ask, stepping closer to the bed.

"I don't want to see anyone." His voice is scratchy like he hasn't spoken in days. I don't think he's had any water, either. "Especially you."

"You don't have to be ashamed. I wold say we know each other pretty well. Unless, you forgot about the last time I was in this room." I state calmly.

"This is different." His body doesn't move and he barely moves his lips to talk.

"I get it. After Emily died I didn't want to do anything. I mean, fuck people. Fuck food. Fuck everything! I just wanted to just lay in bed and never get out." I share.

"And then you got up." Harry breathes.

"Because of you, Harry! I got up because of you! When I heard your voice through the door, I was so happy. It felt like there was a bright light shining through all the darkness in my head." I sit down beside him. "You have to get back up because if I let you sink further than you already have, I won't be able to help you." He doesn't say anything, just stares at me. "Get up and go back to work. Please, Harry, they'll take away your food. You'll starve!" I put my hand near his as I move into a different position. Surprisingly, he takes a hold on my wrist, rubbing it gently with his thumb. I smile down at him. Just then, Allie and the other two come through.

"You don't do your work, your rations get cut in half. No exceptions." She says, staring at me at the last part. Jason and Shoe start putting his stuff into a bag. "I hope the next report I get on you is that you're back to sweeping up the cafeteria floors. Feel better." And just like that, she walks out. Harry lets go of my wrist and turns over, hugging his pillow tightly.

~~~~~

I'm still at Harry's house. I've been trying to get him out of bed but with no such luck.

"Come on Harry! We're missing Thanksgiving dinner!" I say, dragging my words out.

"Go. I'll be here." Harry says quietly. I huff.

"Harry, do you know why I nicknamed you Phoenix? Because it symbolises strength. A phoenix will die then rise up in its ashes. You may feel shitty now but I promise you, it'll get better. You will get better." I say. "I'm going to that dinner whether you're coming with me or not so make the decision now." 

"Have fun." Harry whispers, digging his head further into his pillow. I stand there for about ten seconds then walk out of his room, heading towards the church.

~~~~~

Arriving at the church, I'm late. People are already sitting. Glancing around, my eyes land on Campbell and Elle. I walk over to them. Looking at Elle a little closer, she looks really on edge and with the way Campbell keeps side glancing her is telling me something happened.

"Hey guys!" I greet, excitedly. "Campbell, I need to talk to you." I half lie. He stands and follows me over to the food table so we can talk privately as no one is there.

"What?" He asks, quite rudely.

"You've been friends with Harry for a while, right?" He nods. "Okay, so what are his favourite things? He's in a state, right now, so I want to try and help him." It's the first thing that popped into my head.

"Well, he loves pepperoni pizza, likes the colour blue and dogs." Campbell states, making me nod.

"Thanks. Enjoy the food." I say before walking away, going to find a free space near someone I actually like.

(A.N) OKAY! OKAY! I've posted. Thank you for all the love and support, I really appreciate it! In the show, I really hated seeing Harry so depressed. I just wanted to hug the life out of him, you know? Also, I've fallen in love with Divergent again so I might start a book about that. Comment if I should. Love you guys!