Second Chances

- Nephrite -

Right after I died, my conscious just kind of floated over the world, and I watched over Naru, longing to comfort her in her grief. Naru's friends helped her to cope with the loss, and I knew she'd be okay eventually.

Months later, after defeating Zoisite and Kunzite, the Sailor Guardians went to fight the Dark Kingdom and put an end to Beryl's schemes, and I watched over them unseen, but they were ambushed and, one by one, they gave their lives protecting Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon confronted Beryl alone, transforming into Princess Serenity and using the Silver Crystal's full power to seal away Metallia and Beryl...but it cost her her life, as well. At the last minute, she made her eternal wish: a brand new life as a normal girl...with all her loved ones. And that's exactly what happened.

I guess at some point she must have thought of how I'd sacrificed my own life to save her best friend because soon, I was surrounded by pink light...then I found myself standing in the park near the Juban shopping district, overlooking the lake which reflected the light of the rising sun. My first thoughts in the moments that followed were of Naru.

......

I looked for her all day, hoping that we'd cross paths at some point, but I couldn't find her. Just when I began to give up home, I finally saw her.

Naru was walking alone on the sidewalk, probably heading home from school. She noticed me smiling her way, and I expected her to have some kind of reaction...after all, it had been seven months since we last saw each other.

But that didn't happen.

She simply smiled back, and she walked away, humming a little tune to herself. I stood there, stunned. It was like she didn't even recognize me, but how could that be?

"Naru!" I called after her.

She turned back and watched as I approached her. Confusion was written across her face ...genuine, and pure confusion.

"I'm sorry...do I know you?" she asked.

I froze in my tracks. Her words hit me hard, and I felt as if I'd been kicked in the gut at full force.

"You ...don't you recognize me?" I asked

Naru stared into my eyes for a moment.....

"I'm sorry, I .....I must have mistaken you for someone else," I muttered

I turned on my heel and walked away, and I didn't dare to look back for fear Naru would see the heartbreak written on my face. A lump formed in my throat, making it hard to breathe. What was this suffocating feeling that was coming over me? In the back of my mind, I saw an image of a red crystal heart...my heart...being shattered to millions of little pieces on the ground. As I wiped fresh tears from my eyes, part of me wondered how I would pick them all up again.

.......

I spent the next few days holed up in my old mansion...pondering my predicament with Naru.

I thought that maybe I could restore her memories; I was perfectly capable, given my powers. But once I was level-headed enough to think clearly about the situation, I decided it would be best to spare her the heartache of having to relive everything that happened on that night, seven months ago. It was a difficult choice, but I believed that it was what would be best for Naru.

Maybe this was a good thing after all. Naru and I could now have a fresh start...a second chance at being together again.

Four days after my initial run-in with Naru, I ran went to speak with Usagi and get a second opinion before my decision became definite...but she, too, had no memory of me, and was just as confused as Naru had been. This most likely meant that the other Sailor Guardians likely had none of their memories, either, but somehow I didn't think that would be the case forever. Later the same day, I went for a walk through the city and I ran into Naru again...quite literally and purely by accident.

I was reading a novel I'd just purchased from the local book-store when I bumped into an unseen person.

"Oh!" a familiar voice cried in surprise.

I bent over to pick up my book.

"My apologies, I wasn't looking where I was..." I trailed.

I looked up and there was Naru, kneeling to pick up her magazine that she'd dropped. Her face was red with embarrassment.

"Um...hi...again."

I smiled. She hadn't changed a bit.

"Hi...I'd like to apologize for the other day. I wasn't myself..." I explained

"It's okay," she said. There was a bit of an awkward pause. "I..um...maybe you'd like to go and get chocolate parfaits together?"

Her request sort of took me by surprise...but it was a pleasant surprise. I briefly thought about the plans we'd had for a date we never got to enjoy, and silently wondered if she was beginning to regain her memories...

"I'd like that,"

.....

Soon, Naru and I were sitting down in a little booth in a cafe with our chocolate parfaits; a mixture of vanilla and chocolate ice cream drizzled in chocolate fudge and sprinkled with shreds of coconut and little wafers, all served in a glass with a spoon. The concoction was delicious, and I savored its sweet taste.

"So...I don't think I ever caught your name the other day..." said Naru.

"Sanjoin...Masato Sanjoin." I said

What I said was half-true. That was the name of my human alter-ego that I had used so long ago....

"I'm Naru."

"Pretty name," I complimented her.

Her lips formed a shy smile, and her cheeks flushed pink. Her warm, amber-colored eyes reflected the light from outside so they glistened like gems.

She was beautiful.

Despite the fact that she didn't remember me, I was happy that we were able to have this time together...to start rebuilding what time and misfortune had tried to tear down.

"What?" she asked with a little laugh. She must have noticed me staring.

"Has anyone told you...you're the cutest girl around?" I asked

These were the exact same words I'd said to her over seven months ago...only now I meant them with my whole heart.

She grinned sheepishly and looked down at her hands, which were folded in her lap.

To my readers: Hello! I hope you enjoy this compilation of light and fluffy romance lol! Also thanks for reading :)