Latte Macchiato

He was stunned – the stranger in front of him looked exactly like the girl he'd been dreaming about. Her round face, small figure and her dark hair flowing in the wind. "Excuse me," the male spoke out, gaining the female's attention.

The girl looked confused but had a soft smile plastered on her face. "Yes?" she questioned, tilting her head. She had never seen him before, but there was something familiar about that boy. That boy with light brown hair, his high cheekbones and plump lips. How tall he was, and how his shoulders were just broad enough to hug her comfortably.

"Can we chat for a while?" he asked with a deep voice. The girl walked closer to him and connected their eyes. She nodded and took his hand, guiding him to the closest coffee shop. As they arrived, the coffee shop greeted the two with the softest scent of coffee and freshly printed newspapers. People were sitting in their booths, some were sipping their beverages, some conversed with their friends, laughing.

The pair sat down in a booth next to the window and took off their coats. This felt like a blind date to both. The girl called out for the slim female waiter; whose apron had coffee stains on them. "May we please have a latte macchiato and- "the girl said when the boy interrupted, "one americano, please." The waiter wrote their order down, gave them both a friendly smile and left to prepare their beverages.

"What's your name, miss?" he inquired.

"Kim Misoo. What's yours?" she replied with a question. He chuckled, "Kang Changyoung," he responded. Misoo smiled and took out her phone which had a cute phone case. It had pandas on it, Changyoung's favorite animal. She gave the phone over to Changyoung, asking him to give her his phone number.

The waiter brought their coffees, "Enjoy!" she exclaimed. Misoo took her latte macchiato and took a sip. It was too hot, and she burnt her tongue. "Ah, damn..."

Changyoung snickered and took his americano into his large palms and stirred the drink with a spoon gently. "Do you study, miss Kim?" Changyoung asked. She nodded, "Please, just call me Misoo. And yeah, I do. Do you?"

He shook his head and took a sip of his americano. "I haven't touched a book in what – like four years or something... I'm not the type to waste my time on stressing over exams and burning myself out because of my future. I'm doing great in life without university," Changyoung claimed with a cocky tone in his voice. Misoo furrowed her brows and snickered. She looked him up and down, judging him silently.

"Really? Why do you have a hoodie that has a logo on it – the logo of my university?" she challenged him with a grin on her pink lips. He laughed.

"You got me. I major in business," he giggled. Misoo took a sip of her now cooled down latte. "I major in biology. I aspire to be a successful surgeon someday. I want to save lives," she claimed. Changyoung looked into her brown eyes and put his left hand on the table. Misoo thought he wanted to hold hands, so she laid her hand down on his. Surprised, Changyoung took his hand back and saw Misoo's confused face.

"Sorry," she apologized as she felt blush creeping up to her cheeks.

"It's alright..." Changyoung said gently. "I feel like we've met before, but I just can't put my finger on it."

Misoo relaxed in her leather seat. "What if we've seen each other in school but never really cared about it?" she laughed. He nodded and looked at his wrist. He had an expensive-looking watch; it was already three in the afternoon.

"Oh... I believe I have to go. See you later," Changyoung said and gathered his things. He finished his coffee before leaving the shop. He walked by the window next to Misoo and flashed his gummy smile at her, who was also smiling uncontrollably.

Misoo couldn't help but smile. She knew that Changyoung would be the one occupying her thoughts at night. His soft hand that she touched by accident.

After sitting in the booth for a while and finishing her latte, she left too.

Now it came to her. Changyoung was her crush from 4th grade, but he had changed so much she couldn't recognize him. But, to be fair, she liked this new Changyoung. He wasn't as childish as he was when they were 10 years old but he still had that sparkle in the corners of his eyes.