Chapter 3 - Every Couple Has Little Fights

The next day, I was basically running out of the bathroom to try and get away from the ridiculous name-calling between Pennsatucky and Leanne. Not even looking up while I run, I feel myself bump into a large solid figure. At first, I figured it was another inmate, because they didnt say anything at first, and then I heard it. "What the fuck is wrong with you, Davis?!" He looks down at me with fury. "You are not meant to run. Full stop. THAT IS A SHOT!" Getting angry with the way he has been acting lately I snap, I know I am not meant to yell at a C.O, but I couldnt control it, the word vomit. "What the fuck is your problem lately? What is with you?! One minute you are nice to me, smiling, treating me differently from everyone else. And then out of nowhere youre acting like a dick!" I could hear the girls around us gasping as they walk past, his eyes widened. Shit. I really screwed up this time, SHU here I come.

He looked down at me, then he looked around at the other inmates, his shoes, then back at me, sighing he just said, "You better watch it inmate. Watch your mouth. Remember Ill be dropping off laundry later, you better fucking be there." He then walked away, it was very strange, watching him walk away like that, no shot, no being sent to SHU, nothing. I actually felt a little bad, I seemed to have hurt him. Again. "Get out my fucking way, you fucking junky!" He screamed at one of the heroin addicts.

Later at lunch I noticed he wasnt there. This is probably normal, it might not be about me. Maybe he is on a different shift, or maybe he went to go fetch his laundry that he keeps on reminding me about. I wasnt focused, and Red could tell, she knew something was up, she might even suspect its because Mendez wasnt in the cafeteria like he always is. Or maybe I am just overthinking everything. "Hey Davis, why you looking so mopey? Is it because your boyfriend isnt here to watch you eat?" Nichols snapped me out of my train of thought, to which I replied with a deadly glare, to which Red gave me a glare back. Nichols gave out a small laugh, "Please dont tell me this is true Lizzy." The Russian accent cut the silent glares, "No, its not true Red. They are just making a joke. I promise nothing is happening between me and Pornstache." "Good because if there is, you know what will happen." "I know, I know, Red." I did know, Ill be out of the family, I wont be protected anymore.

I started looking down at my food. "No, shes telling the truth. I saw them this morning yelling at each other." Chapman cut in. "Every couple has little fights." Red annoyingly replies, I reply with a sigh, showing how annoyed I was now. Vause notices this, and comes to my defence, "Give her a break Red. Nothing is happening. Besides, there are more important things to worry about. Like, I dont know, being in prison?" At least I can count on Vause to save my ass against Red.

It was about 4 in the afternoon, and I still hadnt seen the moustached guard anywhere since this morning, I must have really pissed him off. Even while I was waiting in line for the phones I noticed he wasnt standing talking to Bennett, making his dirty comments about the inmates like he usually does, thinking he is entertaining the one-legged C.O.

Yes, I do know about the leg, needless to say I heard the Hispanic girls whispering about Dayanara and her little love affair, and it was quite obvious that they were talking about Bennett. Most of the prison knows about those two by now anyway, with the exception of basically all the staff, even Bennett isnt aware of the inmates knowing.

It was finally my turn to get to the phone, I better call my mom, I havent spoken to her in a while, and she is bound to be in a state. Picking up the phone, I dial my mothers number, she sounded frantic over the fact that I havent called her in a while, but then she could sense that something was wrong.

"Elizabeth? What is the matter? Did something happen?" I could hear the genuine worry in her voice, which created a lump in my throat, Ive been here for 3 months and I still miss like crazy.

"Nothing really happened, mom. Its just, there is this guard, who often is quite friendly towards me and - "

"What did he do? Did he rape you? I saw something on the news about a guard that took advantage and raped a young girl at a prison in California. And I swear- "The way she said rape made me cringe.

"Mom, mom, no, no, he didnt do anything. And you should really stop watching the news, it worries you too much. I just wanted to say that hes being friendly, and it just makes me feel guilty with the other girls because he isnt so nice to them." I quickly changed what I was going to tell her, in fear that other C.Os are listening and more importantly that shell worry more.

"Oh sweetie, you worried me, thats not too bad. Itll get better, besides youve always had that effect on people, dont worry too much. " The conversation carried on for a few more minutes until I realised the time.

"Okay mom thanks, I have to go, its almost my shift, speak to you soon." And with a goodbye from her side, I hang up and make my way to laundry.