Steel Options for Industrial Storage Tanks

Customized steel storage tanks are normally built as per the specification given by the client and as required by the desired application. Factors considered in this aspect are features, dimensions and the right grade of steel that will go into the building of the storage tank.

Steel Options for Storage Tanks

There are two grades of steel that are normally used for the construction of storage tanks; stainless steel and carbon steel. Within carbon steel there are three sub-categories of steel namely high carbon steel, medium carbon steel and low carbon steel. Stainless steel is divided into five sub-categories namely ferritic, austenitic, martensitic, precipitation and duplex.

The type of steel that largely goes towards the manufacture of customized bulk storage steel tanks is low carbon steel and in the stainless steel variety it is the austenitic grade of steel 304. Carbon steel is however, the preferred choice because of its low cost as compared to stainless steel.

Grades of Metal for Carbon Steel Tanks

Low or mild carbon steel contains low carbon percentage and hence, this makes it more malleable and bendable or weldable into the required shape. The flexibility of this metal enables the formation of the 'disc and donut' assemblies fundamental to the manufacture of storage tanks from . Tanks which are meant for storage of fuel, chemical, water or oil largely use the mild carbon steel variety for their manufacture due to the inexpensiveness of the material. The carbon steel tanks are finished with varied coatings like those of polyurethane, epoxy or rubber for prevention of leakage or corrosion depending upon the substance to be stored in it. Some of the storage tanks meant for storage of flammable liquids are completed with double walls for protecting the adjoining environment from possible leaks. or sheets are also used in the construction of tanks.

Grades of Metal for Stainless Steel Storage Tanks

Stainless steel is used for manufacture of storage tanks which need to store chemicals that are incompatible with carbon. Stainless steel is non-reactive and is different from carbon steel due to its chromium content which gives it the anti-rust property. The 304 stainless steel grade is the common choice of stainless steel to be used in manufacture of household kitchen appliances as well as fabrication of industrial tanks. These tanks are used for storing liquid fertilizer or glycerin and usage of this metal grade also goes towards fabrication of maturation and pasteurizing tanks.

Another commonly used grade of stainless steel is the 304L grade of stainless steel which largely goes towards fabrication of tanks requiring a number of welds. The lesser carbon content prevents the possibility of rusting in areas around the welds by mitigating the developing of chrome carbide precipitation.

Summarizing

In theory, any grade of steel is usable in the fabrication of customized storage tanks. The most suited steel grade will depend on the substance intended to be stored in it and the conditions prevailing at the time of storage. You can convey your requirements to a custom metal fabricator who will design and make the storage tank for your industrial application. This will ensure that your storage tank will last for long times to come.