Chapter 1- The Woman On The Steps

Shere Khan sat in his office on a cold December afternoon. Outside his window the snowflakes gently descended earthward, the wind sending them flipping and looping in all directions. But Shere Khan didn't care. The holidays were always a hassle for the Khan Industries CEO. He was currently signing his name on thousands of paychecks. Paychecks for his employees, to be circulated through the department come Monday. And given the number of employees he had, it was no easy task. There were close to seventy thousand people working in Khan Tower alone. His junior administrators were to attend to those employed in the overseas departments.

Scribbling down his name on what should've been his three thousand seven hundred and fortieth check, he placed it in the stack of completed ones before sighing through his nose.

"Only sixty-five thousand, eight hundred and twelve to go."

As he placed another check in front of him and started to sign it, he was interrupted by the buzzing of the intercom.

"Mr. Khan? Mrs. Snarly here."

Khan pressed the talk button and replied, "Yes. What is it, Mrs. Snarly?"

"One of the security guards just reported in, and there seems to be a woman sitting on the steps right outside the building. He didn't get a good look, but he said she was...crying?"

A women...outside the building? Crying? In this weather, and at this time of the day? Shere Khan's mind raced. What in the world could she be doing there? And why was she crying?

"Is she a commoner? Or perhaps one of those desperate job applicants?"

"I doubt it, sir. The guard said that she was wearing some expensive-looking clothes. And as far as I can tell, her description doesn't match anyone previously filed."

"Hmmmm," the old tiger mumbled, stroking his chin in deep contemplation. "Was she alone?"

"No sir. The guard reported that he saw two young boys sitting next to her. Her sons perhaps."

"Very well, then. Have her brought up here to my office so I can find out who she is and what she was doing there. Leave her boys in the main lobby, too, and make sure to have the staff keenly observe them to make sure they don't get up to any...mischief."

"Right away, Mr. Khan."

(Linebreak)

About twenty minutes later, Khan heard the elevator bell let out a sharp ding. The doors opened, and he couldn't resist a sharp inhale at who he saw.

Stepping out of the elevator was a white female cat, looking just shy of her thirtieth birthday. She was wearing a light purple petticoat over a short teal-hued dress. The mascara over her blue eyes was smeared, and her eyelashes were covered in moisture both from tears and falling snowflakes.

These oddities, however, did nothing to dampen her beauty and perfection, and Khan was left stunned at the sight of her.

"Errr..." he said, clearing his throat, before rising from his chair to greet her. "I am Shere Khan, CEO of Khan Industries."

"Oh," the woman said with awfully quiet voice. "Bonjour, Monsieur Khan. I have heard of you. My name is Duchess. Duchess Bonfamille. I am new in town. I'm afraid my children and I just moved to Cape Suzette. My husband had just died, you see, and he owed a great deal of money to some gentlemen who, apparently, didn't get along with him much."

"Really?" said Khan. "Is that why you were crying on the steps of my building?"

"Oh, no," Duchess said quickly, wiping away another tear with a handkerchief. "It's not that at all. I had just realized that my daughter, Marie, was missing. We were together when we got off the airplane, but after we stopped to get some lunch at a local restaurant, I noticed that she was gone. I have been going up and down the block for the past hour or so trying to find her. That's why I was crying."

"A missing child, eh?" Khan thought about this for a few moments. Part of him said it was none of his concern, but another part...well, another part wanted to help this woman. After all, he had been raised under a strict code of conduct. Never hurt others unless it is necessary, never take more than what you've given, and never betray those who trust you. Those were the three aspects of the code he lived by, and he would not disobey those words, heavens forsake him.

"Alright, my dear," Khan said, turning back to his desk. "I'll assist you in finding your little girl, this...Marie, you said?"

"Oh!" Duchess was happy. More than happy, overjoyed. "Oh, thank you so very much, Monsieur!! I am grateful that you have shown me such kindness!! I won't forget it for as long as I live!"

"Of course, of course, madam, it will be my pleasure." Khan then flipped the switch on his intercom directing his voice through to the lower levels of the building before pressing the talk button. "Attention, all security personnel. This is your CEO, Shere Khan, speaking. I have a job for you to do. It appears that there is a little girl, one Marie Bonfamille, lost out on the streets of Cape Suzette. I am sending all available guards out into the city to look for her. You understand? I want you to sweep the streets, check every alley, lot and garbage can, search this city from top to bottom, north to south, east to west. I want every single inch of the city looked over once, twice, even thrice. I want you to leave no stone unturned. And for those lacking in incentive, the ones who manage to find her will see their salary increased...fortyfold. Khan out."

Khan looked up from his desk to see Duchess smiling radiantly. "Once again, Khan, thank you from the bottom of my heart."

"Oh, believe me, Duchess, " Khan said with a genuine smile on his face. "you are most welcome, indeed."

Okay, there, Chapter One is done. You guys must forgive me if it's too bland or too short. I wanted to start slow before I get to the interesting parts. Also, this is my first story, so I'm kinda going into unknown territory. I'm not an expert when it comes to this site, so...yeah. I apologize, just in case. Hope to get another chapter out once I heard how you guys like this one. Bye.

Ps. How do you bolden or italicize your writing?