SAMPLE CHAPTER.

Chapter 1

Andersonville was a large town north part of Minnesota, close to the Canadian border. It was the type of town that everyone wanted to live in. Practically every house had big front yards with white picket fences surrounding them. The people who lived there would spend their mornings waking up to their perfect lives with their perfect families. They would go outside with smiles on their faces as they waved to their neighbors and got into their fuel-efficient cars to go to the job they love.              

And at night, they would come home, have a perfect dinner before going to bed to repeat the exact same thing.                                       

Andersonville was actually a nice town, but I would never know that. I would never know that they had one of the best high schools in the state. I would never know that I could have gotten help from one of the many centers scattered around town that are aimed at helping troubled youth. Youth just like me.                       

There was a darker side to Andersonville that most people didn’t want to know about. It was known as South Andy. That side of the track wasn’t as welcoming as the rest of the town. It was dilapidated mostly. All the houses were either abandoned or condemned, but that didn’t stop most people from living in them.                   

I looked up at myself as I stood in front of the mirror. The house I was in was empty, but that was because it was abandoned when I had broken into it. I knew it was risky staying here, but there were no other options. I had nowhere to go, and it’s not like I wanted to go back home, not after I’ve gotten this far.                       

‘Worthless little whore’                                

Squeezing my eyes shut, I gripped the sides of the sink. The shrill sound of my mother’s voice rang throughout my head. Those were the last words she said to me. That was the last straw for me though. After that, I decided it was best for me to leave.       

Both of my parents were more interested in a crack pipe then me, their own daughter. There was never a time when I saw both my parents sober. There was even a time where I had accidently eaten a dime bag of meth when I was only eight years old. I was stupid enough to think it was crushed up blue Jolly Ranchers. After I gotten home from the hospital after almost dying, my parents beat me after eating their daily dose of crystal blue. It’s amazing that social services never took me away from them. They probably thought a child doped up on drugs wasn’t a priority. From time to time, I could still feel the sting of my father’s leather belt on my skin.                   

In the distance, a clock tower that was on the nicer part of town went off. I counted the number of chimes that went off under my breath.                   

Ding                                                   
Ding                                                   
Ding                                                   
Ding                                                   
Ding                                                   
Ding                                                   
Ding                                                   

It was seven o’clock. I sighed as I looked up. I caught a glimpse of my dark grey eyes in the mirror. The candle I had lit provided enough light so I could see my reflection, but I did not like what I saw looking back.                           
I looked just like my mother, at least, a version of her that wasn’t addicted to meth. Normally, my brown hair was wavy with light curls, but it’s been days since I was able to shower, so I hid it under a black beanie. I was always a thin girl, but ever since I've left home, food was scarce. I did pack supplies before I left, but there’s only so much you can buy with forty dollars over a two-month span. Now, my face was thinner and more defined. Whenever I took off my shirt, I could see my skin hugging to each rib.