Chapter 2: Welcome

As my family piled into the car, I kept staring at the doll. It's cold, unwavering glare, the stitched body parts, the strange, red crystal on its head. My head swarmed with questions and irrational fears.

The car engine puked out a bit of black smoke as we took off. My mom turned around, her shoulder resting against the head board of the passenger seat. "Why did you whimper at the plushie?" I put my head down, resting the doll in the empty car seat next to the window.

"Y/N, look at me." Her stern voice becoming more frustrated as I refused to cooperate. "Such disrespect! For me, your father, and your Grampy!" I shot up, glaring at my mom, secluded anger bubbling inside of me, "You know how I'm scared of dolls! Even Grampy knew that! I didn't ask for this, this thing!"

Stinging pain raced across my face. My mom's lips were puckered in rage. "Don't talk back to me Y/N! Or you'll get another slap across the face!" I rubbed a hand on my face, trying to caress the pain. My mother soon turned around, too angry to even look at me. I put my head down.

I looked at the car seat next to me, I shut my mouth as I almost screamed. The doll was laying on my thigh! 'Did it move?' I pinched one of its hands with two fingers and put it against the window, making sure it doesn't touch me. The car slowly came to a stop.

My parents and I came into the house. My mom stepped in front of me, her foot tapping out of anger. She handed me the doll, her grip making the seams pop out a bit from its stitches. She grabbed my shoulder as she led me to my bedroom. She sat me on the bed, laying the doll next to me. "You are going to stay in your room until you apologize for the cruel things you said today!" I stared at my feet.

My mother sighed, "Were all struck with grief, I didn't mean to take my aggression out on you." She put a hand in my thigh. I slowly nodded. "Good, your staying in your room with your present until dinner time." I looked at her, pleading to let me out. She shook her head as she left the room while closing the door.

OI stared at the doll, fear clinging onto my body. I grabbed the doll and shoved it in my dresser, closing it and locking it. I sat down on my bed, grabbing the latest fantasy book and started to read, unaware of the shuffling in my dresser.