two. (edited)

two.

I was nervous, the next day. I didn't know how to face June.

My worries were for naught, however, because she never came to class again. Weeks passed, the seat behind me vacant. It frustrated me a bit. How could she ditch class every day? Did she want to fail? The genius theory crossed my mind again, but I waved it off. It didn't matter how smart you were. Even with perfect test scores, if you never turned in homework there was no way you could pass.

Dumb thoughts of June Willow trickled through my mind for weeks. Every time I saw her in the hallway I couldn't help but stare. Sometimes, walking back from class, I saw her with a flock of people, fake smiles plastering their faces as they fought to win her favor. I became sensitive to her name, noticing every time a boy talked about June's cute hair or pretty smile. I wanted to laugh. What smile?

Her hair, always pulled up, her black skinny jeans, her refusal to wear anything without black combat boots, I began to notice it all. 

I definitely wasn't jealous that the boys in the hallway had been able to see her smile while I was left with nothing but the memory of cool disinterest.

Maybe I'll try talking to her, I considered. I would work up the courage, and one day she would come to class and I would say, 'hey, what's up.' I played the scenario out in my head as I shuffled in the hallways, sat in class-- even as I drove home. I only ever got so far as a greeting, because I couldn't fathom what she might say in rely. What her voice sounded like.

But she never came. Every day the teacher droned on and on and I was left with nothing but the touch of emptiness at my back and haunting blue eyes in my mind.

I fought my disappointment with anger. She was a snob, we were from two different worlds. She probably thought that I was a nerd with weird clothing and no friends or standards, and I thought that she was stuck-up and good-for-nothing and stupid and totally not hot. Anger boiled in the pit of my stomach. Did she really think that she could just... pass a hard class without putting in any effort at all?

Maybe it was because of that-- or maybe it was because I hadn't eaten all day and was mildly hangry-- that I snapped one afternoon when I saw red hair sway down the hallway.

"June," I called out, and every head but hers turned. I tried again. No answer. She was walking slowly, and I tried to catch up, pushing some students who had stopped to gape at me out of the way. I reached out to touch her shoulder, but hesitated.

"June," I said again, quieter this time. She turned, her pale blue eyes as disinterested as they were the day we met.

"Yes?" Was all she said. Her voice was higher, perhaps less terrifying than I had thought it might be. In fact, her voice was just as beautiful as the rest of her. ...Darn.

"You should go to class," I told her before my brain caught up with the rest of me. I flushed. 'You should go to class'? What was I? Her mother? "I... uh, I mean, uh, what I mean is, we have a big project coming up, and there's going to be important information on it in class today, so you should come," I stuttered.

Her eyebrows raised imperceptively, and for a moment I thought she might be surprised again, but a second later her face straightened and I was left with nothing but the impassive stone of her eyes. She didn't speak, instead nodding slightly before pivoting to walk away. 

I stared after her. Why wouldn't she speak to me? Was she angry? Why the heck did I even care if she came to class or not?

But the most important question, evident by my burning cheeks and ears, was: Will she come?

Lunch couldn't have ended quicker. I would have run to English class if there weren't so many students clogging the hallway. I was one of the first people in class, and was shocked to see that June had actually come. She was speaking with the teacher, Mrs. Lion or something. I caught the end of their conversation

"-stay after school to speak with me," Mrs. Lindor said. June nodded, like she had done with me, before swiveling around. She paused when she saw me. I swallowed. Suddenly, speaking to her was a lot harder than earlier. We both awkwardly shuffled to our seats.

Well, I awkwardly shuffled. Somehow, she managed to make even walking to her desk attractive. I saw a few male classmates staring at her long legs. 

Of course, I didn't think they were anything special.

Class started, but I didn't hear a word. The whole time I couldn't focus on anything but June's presence behind me; it was overwhelming. When I raised my hand to go to the restroom halfway through class, I didn't come back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: What do you think of Mia so far?

What about June?

Feel free to leave comments/suggestions/edits!

UPDATES ON MONDAY (except for the first 3 chapters, lol)