Turkey And Football

Wiping my hands off on the dish towel, I double checked the kitchen to insure I hadn't missed any dirty dishes. Miri was occupied with putting the last of the Thanksgiving dinner leftovers in the fridge as she grumbled. "Doesn't make sense. We women slave over making this dinner. We get up at the crack of dawn to begin while all the men sleep in. Then they pile on the couch watching stupid ball game's and dozing while we clean up".

I chuckled. "Well could you imagine them cooking this feast".

Miri paused. "Good point".

Sam tucked the broom back into the cleaning closet and in her usual optimistic self she said. "Well if they didn't get out of our way we wouldn't be able to do our thing".

We all laughed and agreed. "Okay, you guy's get everything set up while I run to the bathroom" .

Leaving the kitchen I made my way down the hall to the closest bathroom. This has been our tradition for many year's now. Right before Thanksgiving the entire clan leaves the hustle and bustle of the city and we don't return until after the Holidays. We leave the business in the hands of our most trusted men and we aren't to be contacted unless there's a major problem. During this time we all clear our calendars and there is no deals or meetings to contend with. We have one rule and one rule only... During this time there is to be no work or talk about the business. We leave it all in the city. This is our one time a year to live a normal, carefree life and we make the most of it.

Yes, it can get tedious with all of us under the same roof and if it can happen it does but for this short amount of time we aren't the Harper's, biggest mafia of the state's... We are simply just the Harper's, modern day family. Thankfully when my husband had this beloved country home built for me away from the city, he made sure it was huge enough to house a growing family, a family that has multiplied over the year's. Everyone has their own room and there's plenty of space to spread out over the house. There's a Den, living room, game room, heated pool during the colder months, heated patio, small library and a few office's. Not to mention acres of land to take a stroll on or play ball. However my favorite area is my garden that London had constructed for me and of course it's filled with yellow rose bushes.

As I joined the other women in the kitchen everything was set up and ready to go. The table had been cleared of it's center piece and now a deck of card's sat there. Red wine hot cocoa was warming on the nearby counter and a few pie tins sat about filled with delicious goodies for us to snack on as we played poker. This was our thing every year. The men gathered in the other room watching game's while we played card's and chatted over the cocoa wine and sweets. Occasionally we would hear the guy's hoot and hollar over the game or pop in for a beer and snack but mostly it was just us gals.

Tia was the first to head upstairs to bed followed by Mizery who was feeling the weight of pregnancy. Not much longer before the baby would be here. King was next to go along with his new lady friend Frankie. I wasn't quite sure about the pair yet but time would tell. To our amazement Duel was next to call it a night. Usually he was one to burn the midnight oil. Miri and Cole said their good nights shortly after followed by Sire whom seemed a bit down in the dumps. Conner and Ela had decided to join us as well this year along with Chance and Zoe, however Zoe would arrive in a few day's. They nodded their good night's and headed upstairs as well. All the other younger grandkids had passed out hour's ago. The last to go was CJ who gave me a hug and assured me he had locked everything up.

Stretching, I rose and removed the leftover turkey from the fridge. Making me a turkey sandwich with a smattering of mustard, I retired to the sunroom. I loved sitting here at night as the night sky view was great. Out here in the country away from the city lights you could really see the star's. Sitting on a soft chair I munched on my sandwich lost in my thoughts. "Ummmm.... Baby doll".

I jumped at his voice as he bent down and wrapped his arm's around my shoulders from behind. Leaning my head back on his chest I smiled. "Dinner was wonderful" . London complimented me.

"It was thanks to all of us women". I teased.

" you know tomorrow is another busy day. We should get to bed".

Nodding my head, I agreed. As tradition goes, the day after Thanksgiving we always begin the outside Christmas decorations of the house. Normally it ended up in a comical dispute between the men. Us girl's stayed inside to decorate and laughed at the guy's and their Christmas light issue's.

Standing up, I allowed London to led me to our room where we fell asleep as soon as our head's hit the pillows.

As a special treat I will be adding something from each chapter that you guy's can take with you!

This chapter's sweet treat is Red Wine Hot Cocoa! (Only for my drinking age readers)

2/3 cups chocolate chips, semisweet
1 pinch salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup half n half
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cups Red Wine, dry

1. Combine chocolate chips, wine, milk, half n half, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring com until chocolate chips are melted and mixture is hot.

2. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Pour into mugs and serve!!

Enjoy!!I

Also keep in mind that these chapters may be short as this is going to be a short story!!