Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Rogue got to the library and waited on the front steps for Remy. He wasn't late, yet, but it was pretty chilly out and she wished he'd hurry up. She was about to check her watch, when she heard a commotion from down the street. She took off at a run, her X-Men training kicking in.

She discovered Remy in an ally way, holding a long staff, with three bodies at his feet and a child of perhaps 9 or 10 with blue hair, peeking out from behind a dumpster. He had a black eye and a graze on his cheek.

"Remy, what happened here?" She asked.

"It's not what you think," Remy tried to plead, afraid that she would think the worst of him. His attention was diverted when the little blue haired boy tugged on his sleeve.

"Petite?"

"We should go before they wake up," the boy said.

Remy looked around at the fallen bodies, knowing that some of them would get up fairly soon.

"Sure thing. Where's your Mom?"

"At home."

"Do you know where you live?" he asked.

The boy nodded and recited his street address. Remy took his hand and led him from the alley, suddenly remembering. "I didn't bring a spare helmet for the bike, and mine's way too big."

"We can take the X-Van," Rogue assured him, pleased that she had decided to drive to the library, rather than walking from the cinema.

The drive was quick and quiet and Rogue watched as Remy led the boy to his front door. After the mother had hugged her son and made sure he was all right, she and Remy had a brief conversation and Remy returned to the car.

They drove in silence for a while, until Rogue stopped the car at the side of the road and turned to Remy. She couldn't understand why he was so quiet.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, Rogue," he said, keeping his eyes averted.

"Sorry that you saved a kid from three nearly adult bullies? I'm not."

"But what I did to them..."

"I would have done too!" she took his hand in hers, causing him to look up at her.

"That blonde boy? His name is Duncan, and he made our lives at school hell. He deserved everything you did to him and if you hadn't come along, who knows what they might have done to that poor kid."

He had thought that once she saw the violence that he was capable of, that she would turn against him. He tried not to kill, ever, but he couldn't stop the beast within from rising when he saw someone in trouble.

"You're really okay with it?"

Rogue smiled. "I really am."

"Okay." Remy found an answering smile. "So, what did you want to do tonight?"

"How about we go to your place?"

"My place?" He thought of the blood bags that were currently residing in his cooler.

"Yeah, you've seen my room, I want to see yours."

"Rogue, I'm not sure that's such a good idea." He couldn't believe it, he had downed two bags of blood before he left the house, more than he usually ate in two days, but he still wanted Rogue as much, maybe even more than ever. The idea of being alone with her right now was terrifying!

She looked crestfallen.

"No, chère, Rogue, I mean... God knows I want you, in fact I want you so bad that if we're alone, I might not be able to-"