Chapter Ten

‘It is the bloody morning! Why do I need to get up at this time?’ Fred said groggily as he rubbed his eyes.

The crack of dawn brought the singing of birds along with it and sunlight poured throughout their room as Hermione pushed the blinds back a little and then she pushed them all the way to the side. Fred shielded his eyes and glared at her – he didn't have this problem when he was living alone.

‘Fred...’ Hermione whispered, her voice carrying across to where Fred was trying to bury himself in the covers. Hermione walked to him and sat down on the bed, taking the covers off his eyes, ‘I’m scared...’

‘Hermione, can’t you be scared in the middle of the day? Why must you be scared at the crack of dawn!’ Fred sighed sitting up in bed and pulling the covers away from him. Hermione placed a hand on his naked chest and looked up at him. Fred sighed once more, ‘what’s wrong?’

‘What if... what if my pregnancy is... Fred, I don’t think I can do this!’ Hermione whispered, leaning forwards to lean her head on his chest, ‘I’m scared, Fred! I had a dream that... that the baby...’

‘I’m sure this is normal for every woman who’s pregnant for the first time,’ Fred assured her, stroking her long curls. Hermione winced a little and Fred felt his chest get a little wet – Hermione was crying, ‘listen to me-’

‘Fred, what are we doing?’ Hermione asked and pulled away from him. She moved so that she was sitting right in front of him and on his legs. Fred tried not to wince at her weight and succeeded. Hermione started to babble uncontrollably in a worried tone, ‘what if something happens during the pregnancy and our baby... or what if something happens to me? You have to save the child, forget me, if that situation happens! What if the baby grows up to hate us because we didn't plan-’

‘It will be fine and I swear I will be right next to you holding your hand while you give birth. You will get through this because we are strong together. We’ve fought for our love and we have won. We can get through this, understand?’ Fred asked, holding her hands in his, ‘I love you.’

Hermione nodded after a while and she climbed into bed beside him. Fred and Hermione slept for another hour before waking up again and changing clothes. Fred changed into his shirt and tie for work while Hermione cooked him breakfast, feeling better once she had everything off her chest. Fred was right, they would be fine.

‘What’s for breakfast?’ asked Fred as he tied his tie, walking into the kitchen. Hermione didn't answer him so quickly. She grabbed her stomach, feeling a little spurt of pain shoot through her. Just as soon as it had begun, it disappeared. Hermione handed Fred a plate of eggs and toast, ignoring his weird looks, ‘are you alright? Are you... is it the...?’

‘I’m fine. Just... felt a little weird for a second there,’ Hermione said and reassured Fred when he narrowed his eyes at her, ‘I’m sure it is normal pain.’

Hermione bit into an apple and she took the seat in front of Fred, feeling her back start to pain a little more. Fred watched her as he ate his toast.

‘Fred, I’m fine! Honestly, you worry-’ Hermione stopped suddenly. Her eyes widened and the apple fell to the floor with a thud. Fred stood up so suddenly that she didn't even notice when he was kneeling beside her. Hermione felt the same pain again in her lower stomach and lower back. She turned to Fred, her fright coming right back to her, ‘I’m in labour.’

‘No...’ Fred mumbled, holding her hand tightly.

Hermione felt a surge of anger at him and she felt like pushing him away. She ignored the urge since she knew it was because of her pregnancy but she couldn’t help but shout at him.