prologue

Rose Walker was a girl who'd been born with a clear head on her shoulders. Raised by a carefree mother and a realist father, she often saw the best of both worlds and set forth with her own outlook on the world.

Her mother had always taught her that with every person she came across, there was always more than what meets the eye and that she should always be open to new experiences. Meanwhile, her father taught her that she was better off being a bit more practical, he feared that the world would prey on such a ray of sunshine she was. But all her life, Rose was adored by just about everyone who laid eyes on her. There was just something about her that could melt the heart of anyone.

After losing her parents in a tragic accident she learned to find joy in even the smallest things and appreciate every little thing she could. But as she begins to grow up with little to nothing to call her own, she eventually loses the optimism and light that made her who she was. And it's only when a rather strange opportunity is dropped into her lap does she understand that sometimes you have to go out on a leap of faith.

While on the other hand, Hades has built up his reputation by taking calculated risks he knows will provide fruitful results. He's a being who grew up far too fast and lived a life that one would have nightmares about. And it's with great sacrifice that he's able to put his horrific past behind him and look to the future and how he could have a hand in making the world a better place.

And like everyone else, he's just as lonely as the next person and it's when he feels the smallest inkling that he decides to advertise for a wife. He'd had just one sliver of hope that he would finally find his soulmate but in the end, he hoped it would all count. And his life is changed for the better once he lays eyes on Rose.

In just an instant the two feel an indescribable pull that scares them just as much as it excites them. And as the unlikely pair embark on a new journey together, it is revealed just how dangerous the world could be surrounding their infamous relationship.

While the two of them take just a glance at each other and see their future, others see the unaware Rose as the one and only weakness of the all-powerful god. But what they don't know is come hell or high water, Hades would do to the ends of the earth to defend her. And if they thought they knew just how frightening the god of the underworld could be, they'd soon be proven wrong.

Rose had never given much thought about how she would fall in love. But she never imagined that it would come with such happiness that she failed to find the words to describe. She never thought it could be followed by the greatest loss she'd ever know. And she sure as hell didn't think it would be quite possibly the greatest adventure of her life.

*

Elsewhere in the shadows lied an underlying threat that waited nearly a century for the first sign of the opportunity to finally make Hades pay for what they could only describe as the absolute ruin of their entire life.

In the land of gods and monsters where just about anything was possible, power rested in the hands of those who were strong enough to reach out and create their own destiny. That's exactly what Kronos intended to do when he made his mark and built up the very empire that the infamous brothers stood upon. While they were grateful for their names being forever stamped down in history, they were far from proud of what they did to get there.

At first contact with the mortal world, they set out to destroy the weak foundation and build a better world on the remains of all who stood against them. Lands were pillaged, plundered, and destroyed. Innocent men, women, and children were slaughtered without so much as a care in the world. There wasn't a day that went by without nightmares that nearly kept them all awake at night.

And they weren't the only ones who remembered the pain and trauma they inflicted on the world. Some could forgive and forget, moving on as if their inhuman acts had never come to pass. Some could allow history to be buried and rewritten as if they were capable of ever being forgiven for their actions. They may have changed their ways and devoted themselves to doing everything they were capable of to better the lives of any and every human being who had cause to fear them. They searched far and wide for the secrets of their world and shared them in an attempt to make up for their past.

For the most part, it worked. It took decades, but eventually, the world saw them as more than all-powerful monsters. But a small group had formed underneath their noses dedicated to eradicating their existence for good. Unbeknownst to the infamous gods, one of their own had even supplied them with the necessary knowledge to harm and kill any and all mythological being left on earth. Known as The Saviors, the stealthy group had made a name for themselves despite remaining anonymous.

Despite knowing little to nothing about the mysterious vigilantes, the boys had managed to keep themselves safe during a time where The Saviors had successfully killed the low ranking gods and goddesses who weren't as strong as them. It wasn't until Poseidon himself had faced an unbearable loss at the hands of them did they take them seriously. And despite knowing this, the hardships his brother faced, and just how numb he'd become after falling victim to the Saviors, Hades just couldn't spend yet another restless night alone.

He was a bit pessimistic while taking such an alternate route for such a simple thing called love, but after meeting Rose all his doubts were laid to rest. It was with just a glance that he knew she was his end and his beginning, the other half of his rather empty heart, and the one thing make any sacrifice to protect.