Chapter 30: Leo

..-. . .- .-.

Leo couldn't run fast enough. His heart was racing, his legs burning from the intense physical exertion. He dodged in and out of trees, jumping over rocks. He had to make to the fire. It had to be just a simple camp fire.

But he knew it wasn't. He knew it was the cabin. He just couldn't accept it. He continued to race back, branches snapping at his face, thorns grabbing his clothes. Stop trying, they seemed to whisper, just give up. You can't make it. Just lay down. Be at peace. It'll all be okay. He wanted to listen to them. But he knew he couldn't. He had to go to Nico. He had to make sure he was okay.

Finally the woods opened up to the clearing where the cabin happily stood. Until now. Before it was regal and black and seemingly untouchable. Now it was painted red and orange and yellow and gold. The colors were dancing and shimmering as though they were trying to see who could go the highest. Leo stopped dead in his tracks. He searched around the cabin for Nico, but saw no signs of the boy.

"Nico!" he shouted, cringing as it echoed back to him. "Nico!"

He finally ran to the front door, hesitating for a moment.

"Please Nico. Be okay," he whispered, before bolting into the house.

He couldn't see. There was too much smoke. It lodged itself in his throat and refused to let him breathe. Leo hit the floor, praying to anyone that would listen for Nico to be okay. He army crawled through the foyer, entering the hallway, where the smoke seemed to clear up. He stood, rushing through the hallway. He continued checking every single room, finally making it to the kitchen. The smoke was the worst there, making Leo gag. He ducked and continued to search, stopping when he saw a dark lump on the floor.

"No," he whispered pleadingly. Rushing over to the figure, Leo recognized it as his loving boyfriend. He picked Nico up bridal style, sprinting the rest of the way through the house. The house seemingly outed them up on the grass terrain, Leo struggling to breathe. But he didn't care. He was too focused on Nico.

Nico had soot in his hair and all over his clothes, but his face had somehow managed to escape it. He looked beautiful. The only thing that shattered his image was the fact that he wasn't breathing.

Leo panicked. He didn't know CPR. But he did know one thing.

"Apollo! Hades! Hephaestus! Come quickly, for you are being summoned!"

With a flash, the 3 appeared, each with a grumpy expression on their face.

"What do you want, child?" Hades grumbled, picking at his nails as he looked up. He took in Leo's appearance, tear tracks on his soot covered face, fresh cuts oozing blood, thorns and branches caught on his clothes. He froze when he noticed Nico's body on the ground. "Son?" he whispered.

Apollo scrambled towards Nico, trying his best to bring the young boy back to life. After what seemed like lifetimes trying, Apollo looked up and shook his head. Everyone began to sob at the terrible thought.

Nico is dead.

They mourned for hours. All of the gods appeared, wailing over the loss of someone so courageous, someone who had saved at least one of each of their children (besides Artemis and Hera. They just sobbed from pure sadness.), someone who had been able to turn their life around.

Leo walked back into the smoldering ashes of what was left of the cabin. He wandered throughout, feeling miserable. He stopped suddenly as he came upon the dinning room table. There were the remains of flowers, a beautiful setting for a wonderfully romantic dinner, and the culprit. A candle that seemingly tipped over. The sole cause of the fire.

Leo shook his head.

Love can be the best and brightest thing, but there is always something working against you, something dark and brooding. To balance it, you have to be a superhero. Sadly, none of us are.

Hi guys. Haven't seen you in forever. Tehehe.
I accidentally texted this cute boy I met at a dance last night talking about this fic. I was trying to text my friend Lydia. Whoops.
So um, sorry? (Am I really sorry though?)
That's my drawing up there of the cabin. I'm so artsy.
Love yah, see you later.
20 THOUSAND READS WTF YOU PEOPLE ARE MY FAVORITE.
~Brie
[if you like my writing then check out my new story, Across the World! I'll love you for forever!]