Uncooperative

A/N: Oh. My. Word. I can't believe that it's been an entire year since I wrote anything for this story... I am so sorry, folks. Life has been one massive hurricane. Writing-wise, my focus shifted onto other projects, so I can't promise any regular updates on this one. But I promise it won't be another year until the next chapter is posted.

As always, tell me what you think. And if you have any ideas/suggestions/wishes: let me know in a comment or PM.

Melanie sat on the counter in the tower, idly swinging her legs as she looked over the calm water. The first hints of sunshine peeked out of the blue horizon, purple and pink announcing the start of a hot day. The weather report predicted temperatures of 35 to 38 degrees, if not more. The wind would pick up during the day, blowing stiffly onshore by mid-afternoon, meaning there wouldn't be many surfers out after midday.

Turning her back to the window front, the brunette let out a sigh and looked down at the papers in her lap. She had come in early today so she could do some of the paperwork she hadn't manage to complete the day before. Hoppo usually didn't mind if she turned in less crucial forms a day or two later and the guys were always happy to help when she struggled with particularly bad formats or fonts, but she wanted to do her share of the work and do it well. Or, at least, as well as she could.

Another sheet landed on the admittedly pitifully small pile of forms she had finished. Frustration prickled at the base of her neck, tingling across her shoulders. It had taken her ten minutes to decipher the first paragraph of the instructions at the top of this new report sheet. Ten minutes and she hadn't even made it to the actual writing portion of the task.

"Ugh!"

The disgusted noise bubbled up her throat and she shoved a hand through her hair. She hopped down from the counter, put the paper aside and paced the length of the room, rolling her shoulders and breathing slow and deliberate.

It can't be that hard.

Her face scrunched up. That's what her mother always said - more like huffed - before throwing up her hands. It did nothing to ease Melanie's frustration right now. She knew that it shouldn't take so long. She knew that it would be a piece of cake for the guys. But all that knowledge didn't change the fact that it was difficult for her. Some days more than others and as it stood, today was one of the bad ones.

She slumped down onto the steps and hung her head. Her gaze caught on her watch and deflated further. Twenty minutes until the early shift got here. Half an hour since she had picked up the first form.

The brunette pushed to her feet. Air. She needed air.

***

The morning breeze brushed warm over Melanie's face, the sea scent tickling her nose. She inhaled, filling her lungs to the brim. She closed her eyes and let the sounds of the waves lapping onto shore wash over her. Slowly, she let the air stream out again, feeling her heartbeat even out.

"I do my best", she whispered to the dawn, releasing the tension in her shoulders. "This is the best I can do today."

It was something H had told her one slow winter day. They had been going over manuals and procedures and she'd gotten overwhelmed because the jumble of letters hadn't made any sense to her.

H had asked her if something was unclear, unable to miss the confused and distressed frown on her face.

She'd mumbled a string of apologies, face burning with dejected shame, saying that she could probably get through the manuals by the end of next week.