Two | Atmosphere

While arriving to Hawkins, Jacqueline could physically feel the change in the atmosphere as she took one step out the car. The bright, offsetting colors of the town burned her eyes, while her lungs started to feel heavy as if they were going to collapses as soon as they inhaled the Hawkins air around her that reeks of cow shit and surfer.

Immediately she felt sick to her stomach, not sure if it was fear that somehow made it's way to her stomach or just pure disgust by the off putting town that her mother forced her to be in. If she, herself hated this town within seconds of being her, she knew that Billy must feel miserable.

Once she was fully out of the car, she watched her mother practically sprint towards their new home with one arm wrapped around one big box that was marked as fragile in neat handwriting. It didn't take a genius to see how excited her mother was about moving here but Jacqueline was still unsure about this place.

Clutching onto her purse for dear life, Jacqueline nervously scanned her surroundings to get a better view of things. And what she saw so far was definitely not how her mom described it. This place was no better than California. The people here, looked like drones, no, clones. They all look the same, all of them dressing the same but in different colors, all of them greeting each other with the same unsettling smile that made Jacqueline's skin crawl as she continued her gaze.

No one here really looked like her, and I don't mean her California suburban look/style. I mean no one here really looked like her; in skin color and hair texture wise.

Not seeing any people of color was kinda scary to her. But then again people of color was frowned upon everywhere, especially people who were mixed race. At least part of California wasn't like that. But who knows how people of Hawkins really feel about people of race. Either way, she took what she saw so far as a sign not to be open about herself, especially about her race.

Seeing her mother running back to the car, Jacqueline immediately took a step aside to get out of her way, hiding her worried look with a fake smile.

"So what do you think about this place?" Her mother asked, taking a view glances at Jacqueline as she took ahold of another large box.

"It's- okay I guess. Nothing like Cali, but its- cute." Jacqueline lied, trying her best to sound believable. If not, she hoped the fake smile on her face will throw her mom off and it did. Without pushing further, her mom made her way inside with the box in hand as Jacqueline followed closely.

The house was the only thing that she liked about this town, it was big, too big for just two people but it was sure as hell beautiful. The walls were a dark blue while the edges were neatly painted sky blue that somehow glowed and shine once it's hit with sunlight. The kitchen counter and sink were a dark marble pattern with the same colored tiles on the floor to match. If she had a choice, she would definitely skip school to hide and hang out here but sadly she didn't. No teen really do have a choice, definitely not in this century.

As her mom continued to bring boxes in and unpack, Jacqueline took it upon herself to explore the outside world, stupid right? The whole town made her uneasy, why go explore it?

Well, because if she stayed inside, she would be forced to help unpack and Jacqueline really isn't in the mood to get sweaty from lifting shit all day. So before her mother could even suggest the thought, she was out the door and immediately all eyes were on her.

Every kid, man, and woman were staring at her in awe and confusion. She wasn't sure if they were being nosey about their new neighbor or if they were judging her by her appearance because let's face it, she doesn't look like any white person here. But yet she was way off from being called black, and the funny thing was that she looked just like her dad.