Chapter 15

"I think I found a solution to our problem." Curtis said to Santa and Rose a day later.
     Quickly, he ushered all the elves out of the room until only he, Santa, Rose, and Bernard were left. Rose glared at Bernard before turning her attention to Curtis and his contraption. Things had been tense for the day and a half that had gone by since their little talk.
     Rose barely listened as Curtis explained what the machine could do until her father said, "I see where this is going. I'm not getting in that machine. And if you think my daughter is, she ain't either."
     "Besides," Bernard said, "creating a copy of Santa Claus and his guardian won't solve our problems. They would just be toys!"
     "Well now that we've got Bernard's vote here," Rose said, annoyance coloring her tone, "I think it's a great idea, Curtis. How does it work?"
     "Really? Are we still on this?" Bernard asked.
     "I added a fuzzy logic circuit to the pantograph this morning. The duplicates will look and think just like the both of you. So when the two of you are with your family, dealing with Charlie, and finding a wife for you," he gestured at Santa.
      "The toy Santa and Rose will be melting in front of my fireplace." Scott concluded.
      Rose snorted with laughter. "No." Curtis said. "The toy Santa will be dealing with business up here and the toy Rose will be taking care of toy you and helping things along."
     "I can deal with business up here!" Bernard interjected.
     "Really?" Rose asked, raising an eyebrow. "Cuz it seems that lately you can't even deal with having a heart!"
     Everyone aside from Rose in the room grimaced at her harsh words. Curtis had whispered, "Ouch!" A moment later, Santa added, "Harsh!"
     Bernard shook his head and continued, in spite of Rose's harsh words, "If the elves ever found out we made a switch..." The Head Elf gasped dramatically. "No. This machine is not the answer."
     "Is it safe, Curtis?" Rose asked, completely disregarding Bernard's words.
     Before he could answer, a mouse ran into the machine. A second later, after a lot of loud noises, the mouse emerged as well as its toy counterpart. "See? You can't get much better than that!"
     Santa debated it for a minute, shaking his head. "If you won't, I still will." Rose said, determinedly.
     "Not without me checking first to make sure it's safe, you're not!" Santa argued. "I'm going in."
     "Oh! I can't watch!" Bernard said, worried for both his boss/friend and the woman he still loved dearly.
     He went into a corner and covered his eyes as Santa and Rose entered the machine, one after the other. Santa reached the inside first and a loud noise followed. Next was Rose, the same loud noise following. Seconds later, two figures appeared from out of the smoke.
     "They're perfect!" Curtis shouted.
     Santa said, "That's cuz it's us, Einstein!"
     Just as the two were stepping out the machine, Bernard and Curtis started screaming. Turning around, Rose and Santa saw why.
    "They're naked!"
    Two figures had appeared out from the machine, looking similar although not quite a perfect match to Santa and Rose. They found two pieces of cloth to cover the toys.
     While Santa experimented with toy Santa, Rose experimented with her toy counterpart. "Hey."
     "Hey." Toy Rose said.
     "I'm Rose. I'm Santa's daughter."
     "So do you just repeat everything I say?"
     "So do you just repeat everything I say?" Toy Rose laughed. "I'm kidding. I can say whatever I want, same as you."
     "Curtis, you are brilliant!" Rose said, rushing over to hug the number two elf and kiss him on the cheek.
     Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed an angry look cross Bernard's face. Secretly, he was jealous. He loved Rose and he hadn't meant to hurt her but she just needed to understand the truth. If she was human, they couldn't be together. That's all it was. He couldn't do a thing about it. It was out of his hands.
     Santa crossed over to Bernard and Curtis, saying, "Listen you two. I'm gonna need your help on this. Rose and I have to go see Charlie. I need the two of you to keep an eye on Toy Santa and Toy Rose and convince everyone that they are us."
     "Oh Santa, we are in way over our heads here!" Bernard complained.
     "I knew it!" Rose said.
     "Just keep the elves at a distance. Tell them we changed our looks a little bit. It'll work."
     "I'm not gonna lie to all the elves!" Bernard said in frustration.
                          * * * * *
     "I myself think they both look absolutely terrific! Happier and more well-rested than they both have in years! Most importantly, both of them are very happy with their new looks so I would caution you all not to star or point fingers or use the word plastic. Ok? Ok let's get back to work."
     With that, all the elves went back to their tasks. Bernard let out a frustrated groan. This plan was never gonna work!
     Not to mention, Bernard had other things to worry about. He found himself subconsciously reaching inside his pocket to feel the familiar weight that had been in there for awhile.
    He needed to talk to Rose!
                             * * * * *
    Rose was busy packing her belongings into a couple of bags that didn't want to close because of all the clothes she'd packed. She groaned as she pushed harder. Just then, there was a knock at the door.
     "Argh! Come in!" She said, annoyance coloring her voice.
    Bernard walked in the room. Rose turned and saw him but said nothing, shooting him an angry glare. She turned her attention back to her luggage. Bernard crossed the room in two long strides, grabbed ahold of the luggage, and closed it firmly.
     "Thanks." Rose said quietly, anger still clouding her voice.
     "Can we talk?"
     "I don't know. Can we?"
     Bernard sighed in frustration. "I'm sorry about what I said, Snowflake. You know I'd never hurt you."
     Rose scoffed. "You sure have a funny way of showing it!"
     Bernard growled before grabbing Rose into his arms and kissing her passionately, pouring all his love and every emotion he possessed into that one kiss. By the time he pulled away, Rose was breathless.
     Bernard took this chance to finally speak up, "I don't want you to ever doubt my love for you again, my love, you understand? I love you more than anything in my entire life. You are my life and my world. If I lost  you, it'd be the death of me. You're everything to me."
     Tears filled his eyes and Rose felt herself tearing up as well. "Then if that's true, why did you say those things?"
     Bernard exhaled loudly. "It's not my choice. I want to be with you."
     "Did you think for one minute that I wouldn't fight for us?"
     "I know you would. You're just as stubborn as your father." She gave him her "bitch please" face. "Deny it all you want, Snowflake, but it's true. But we have rules. Humans and elves...they can't be together. It's in the book. Ask Curtis if you don't believe me."
     "Then I will find a way to get my dad a wife so that I can come back and, if not, I'll find some other way to get my power back. I'm not giving up on us, B. You're too important to me."
     Bernard smiled. "I have faith that if anyone can do it, you can. It's one of the many reasons I fell in love with you."
     Rose smiled but her smile soon faded as she went back to her packing, throwing things in her second suitcase. Tears had filled her eyes again. She felt a hand on her shoulder and Bernard turned her around so that he could wipe away her tears.
     "Don't cry, Snowflake. You're too pretty to ruin it with tears."
     Rose took Bernard's hands in hers. "I'm scared, B. What if I fail?"
     "You won't." Bernard assured her. "You are far too determined for that. You're beautiful and kind and brave and loyal and you love your family and I hope you love me."
     "I do. I have for awhile now."
     Bernard smiled. "I've seen how wonderful you are. And ever since we met, I have loved you. And, if you're worried about what comes next, let me reassure you like I should have done yesterday."
     With that, Bernard slowly sank onto one knee. Rose gasped in surprise as he pulled a ring out of his pocket.

    "Rose Marie Calvin, ever since I met you, I saw something in you

    "Rose Marie Calvin, ever since I met you, I saw something in you. You are special. You are everything I ever needed and so much more than I could've ever asked for. So all I can say is this: Will you marry me?"
     Rose smiled, her eyes filling with tears again but these ones happy tears. "Did you ever doubt I would say yes? Of course I will!"
     With that, Bernard slipped the ring on Rose's finger before pulling her into his arms for a kiss. "I never want this ring to leave your finger. Keep it on as a reminder of my love for you and call on me often, ok?"
     "I will." She promised. They sealed it with another kiss.