Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

9. Supplies

Dom

Finally. Finally, we were in Canada and driving our own ride. We had money, legal money. Mostly legal money. And clothes, and the BMW. It was cramped, more cramped than the van, but it was a better ride with legal plates.

I felt invigorated driving through the provinces. We were going back. I could almost taste the air. Sink my teeth in the mountain elk. Look out over the water, depending on where I dared to run.

I glanced in the mirror and swept over everyone in the car, one more time. Jack and Carson were passed out. Aaron was waking up from his own rest, ready to take a turn at the wheel. Amelia was stubbornly staying awake and suppressing her obvious discomfort. Jerod had actually passed out from pain and exhaustion for a while. It was a fitful rest, but it was some kind of rest at least.

Then my eyes landed on June. She was watching quietly out the window, not speaking. She hadn't said much at all since we got into Canada and started driving again, and that had been pretty much two days ago. I sighed to myself and turned my attention back to the road.

June was hard to read, but I could tell she cared about other people. And she was brave. Or stupid. Maybe both. You can be both, Jack is both. But June was definitely the brave part. She showed it when we first met and she showed it again when we ran into that pack at the campground. Plus, she seems like she knows something or other about first aid, the way she tried to take care of Amelia back in Seattle. For all I thought I knew of her, I still didn't know enough. She was an unknown variable, something I didn't typically like. The fewer unknowns I had to deal with, the easier it was to do my job and keep us safe and on track.

But we were almost to North Sydney, and we had a long ass ferry ride ahead of us. The road started to curve, and it woke up anyone who wasn't already up. It was only midday, so we had until tonight to waste time for the overnight ferry to Newfoundland.

"We there?" Jack asked, stretching.

"Just about," I answered. "We have downtime. Last call if you want anything from a store before we hit the wilderness."

"Exactly how much wilderness are we talking about?" June spoke up, stretching her arms out in front of her as much as the seats allowed.

Jack and Carson laughed. Aaron cleared his throat. "A lot of wilderness. I don't know what the village has access to right now since we've been out of touch, but plan to get literally anything you'll want to have with you."

"Electricity?" June asked, panicked.

"They have that," Jack said. "But no internet."

"Well I don't know, they may have figured that out by now," Carson added. "I hope they have."

"There was never any signal towers out there, and I highly doubt anyone bothered adding them to the mountains," I said. "Plan on not having it and be pleasantly surprised if they do."

"Dare I ask about running water?" June asked.

"Yes, there's water," Carson snorted a laugh. "You're thinking a little too primitive."

"You'll be fine," I said. "But if you need any personal items and spare clothes, let's stop now. There are places in Newfoundland we can get things later if necessary, but we aren't stopping at them for now."

"Okay," June said, hesitantly. "I guess I could spare a little more of my savings."

"I want to find somewhere that sells french fries," Jack said.

"Poutine!" Carson added, practically bouncing in his seat.

"Alright, alright. I'll run us by a store and after that, I'll park the car by the ports. We can wander around town for a while after we park. You can split up, but be back a couple of hours before departure because we're going to have to sit in line a while to get the vehicle onboard," I told them.