~1~

Breaux. A well known name, at least down here in the south. Used to be known for better reasons, up until the late 20s and suddenly hearing my name, Mrs. Evelyn Breaux made people gasp or change the topic of conversation. We're gonna have to go ahead and start here in Louisiana before I tell you how I ended up way, way down south, if you know what I mean. It won't be too long, I hope, but if we ever wanna get to the bottom of why I'm here we may as well start just a little bit before my life changed real drastically.
I had a dandy childhood, I couldn't really want for much, I had a good daddy and my momma did her job well, both raising me the best they could, with the help of Lea, my caregiver.
She took care of most things around the estate, including me, since daddy was real busy all the time. Daddy was big into tobacco cultivation, we lived on a large plantation, had lots of money and lots of nice things, so like I said, I surely couldn't want for nothing. And really growing up didn't have too many childish woes, I didn't mind living the life of a lady and I took my place with pride. Letting Lea dress me up in everything momma picked out, always having my hair done and standing above the riff raff. I enjoyed being a Breaux and I sure liked letting other people know I was one.
It sure is funny how all of that can change real quick, ain't it? A nice life, with nice things and a nice name, but there comes a time when a girl just wants to settle down with a nicer man. That's certainly how it started.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
(1921)
(Louisiana)
I first heard him on the radio.
Some folks will tell you looks have nothin' to do with love.  Well, I think that's partially true, because I was first captured by him the moment static gave way to his voice. I've never been one to go on many dates and boys never paid me much mind unless previously swayed by daddy and really that was okay because I never cared much about those boys myself.
I was content at home, going out to dinner parties or entertaining guests at home, on my own. I enjoyed the freedom, well as much freedom as Breaux lady could get. I was a creature of routine. I was set in my ways and did things as I always had, comfortably and at my own pace. I was alike in some ways with other girls, like when I fantasied about perfect things. A perfect life, a perfect body, a perfect man. Non of those money grabbin' forty-Niners that daddy brought home. Following through with all those arrangements daddy set up. No thoughts, no free will or want of their own.
I had convinced myself at just sixteen, that no man would be wanting me out of his own free will and that maybe, if ever, I'd have to go and put in some kind of extra effort and I was just too damn stubborn to do that. So, I found myself real content listening to him on the radio. Listening to him laugh at his own jokes, talk about his favorite songs, fill us in on the latest news. He liked to talk and I suppose he had every right to like it, blessed with a voice like that, or maybe we were blessed for tuning in. A man that I had never met and I knew nothing about gave me endless company.
Dancing to the songs he chose, listening intently to his lectures or rants.
"Good Evening listeners."
Every evening.
And every evening.
"Good Evening..."
I'd sigh, alone.
I was never one to dwell too much on fantasy though. I knew life was never really gonna change for me, everything that was gonna happen in my life was planned in advance.
I'd stay in this house, dressed the same way, like a lady, host quiet dinner parties and listen to idle chatter and gossip from people I didn't really know until the day I died. Maybe one day I'd actually end up getting married to someone Daddy picked out.
Or maybe I'd die alone.
It seemed likely.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
I went on the same as every other day, a day doing something in this empty house. Turning down dates, hosting dinner parties, Things carried on. The world was changing and a lot of people took notice, most just tried to ignore it. There was the newest crisis, the recent murders, nothing more to anyone it seemed but something else to gossip about. Something so heinous, right near us, it was a buzz.
Alastor, the radio hosts name I came to find, kept us updated on the most recent developments of it all, over his little place on my box on the dresser. Bless him.
Most ladies were using this as an excuse to have an escort.
I couldn't relate.
I continued to carry on as I always had, I didn't pay too much mind to such things. Honestly, I never cared enough to think something like that would happen to me, I only pitied the less fortunate. It was a quiet Saturday afternoon, I kept focused on my stitching.
"It's about 6:00 in the evening Evelyn."
This made me jump. Daddy always has a way of sneaking up on me.
I looked to him.
"Yes? I feel I can't keep track of the time lately."
He nodded.
"Well, would you accompany me to Mrs. Smith's get together? I think it might do you well to get out."
I nodded back.
Of course I know why it would 'do me well.'
Mrs. Smith's son, Peter.
Daddy's pushed for it before. I put my items away carefully, making sure not to mess up my hard work.
"Hmm, I suppose, regardless of whatever intentions you may have by inviting me along," I smirked playfully at him.
"It would be nice to get out."
I turned my attention to the radio, getting up to finally turn it off.
"Maybe speak to some real people."
My father smiled at this, bringing his hands together cheerfully.
"Wonderful, get ready, I'll meet you out front!"
I smiled back as he left the room and then headed to my vanity.
My hair, short, a tragedy really, but Lea always got it looking good. I figured to leave it how she fixed it up this morning, blonde waves close to my head. Just any nice dress will do it, a cream colored one, lose and silk with nude heels, not too showy all together, then I went and met Daddy in the running Nash.
~•~
We arrived around 7:30pm, gets pretty dark around 7:00pm this time of year. Everyone out and already bustling and here I am again, another party I'm unsure about with Daddy escorting me in arm in arm. It's funny how quick you can realize just how cold it is outside when you walk into a room full of gossiping women. I was never one for gossip, but I knew how to read my crowds, so I got on well enough. I knew that this evening I would kindly greet everyone, Mrs. Smith would hold me hostage for an hour or more depending on how her week went, then without fail, she'd talk about her son Peter for another 20 minutes before taking my arm in her hand and dragging me off with her to find him and present him to me, then we'd be left together to try and hold a conversation that went down as well as ice cold molasses and was just about the most socially painful thing I'd ever have to recall. As I'd said, every aspect was always set up for me, I understood this and accepted it.
Mrs. Smith found me first.
"Evelyn! Oh, my dear! What a pleasant surprise to see you've accompanied your father this evening!"
Such overdone joyful energy for a viper of a woman. Never trust her. Probably why her son was such a nervous wreck all the time. I forced smile, something became pretty good at.
"Mrs. Smith, always such a pleasure! Thank you for the welcome! You've been well I trust?"
Appeal to your audience.
She loved talking about herself, we all humored it to stay in good favor. At my question she sighed dramatically, pulling her hand away from me and swinging it over her.
"Oh my dear, as well as a woman can be these days! Im sure you understand!"
I nod.
My smile hurts.
"Yes, well I-..."
I'm stopped short by the harsh pull of my arm. Being led to her son early? Count it as a blessing I suppose.
"My dear, I hate to inform you that dear Peter won't be here to keep you company tonight!"
Unexpected.
"No?"
I ask, pushing for explanation.
"Though I know how you enjoy his company!"
I laugh internally.
"Yes!"
She tightens her grip trying to imitate reassurance, I'm sure.
"But do not fret my dear! He's sent his little friend in his place! Someone he works with!"
Oh? How that struck my tender curiosity.
A new face? Peter having friends? But seriously, new, someone new. I may not enjoy myself but at least it's something unexpected.
I welcome it. Mrs. Smith speaks again, bringing me harshly from my thoughts.
"He's a tad bit odd, but good to look at, you two should get on fine!"
Amazing. Thanks.
I searched my brain trying to remember if I was ever told where Peter works. Probably, but I could never bother myself to ever really listen. I didn't care.
"Oh! There he is!"
And she was right.
There he was.
Tall, dressed as nice as anyone else in the room, small round spectacles sitting on his nose and behind them, real pretty deep brown eyes that matched that brown hair of his.
"This here is Evelyn! She usually spends her evenings with Peter, but I'm sure you can keep her company just fine!"
He smiled politely and nods.
"Yes ma'am!"
He extends his arm to me as Mrs. Smith walks off to go talk to daddy and only then do I realize that I'm staring, and quickly take his arm. Something about him seems familiar and I just can't place it.
"I'm Evelyn Breaux..."
I say softly, still staring, like a fool.
"I know."
He says, smiling down at me.
That snaps me out of it a bit.
"Y-you know? How do you know?"
I say much too quickly.
He just keeps smiling at me softly and laughs.
"Well, Mrs. Smith just now told me, when she brought you over here?"
My face blisters red and I internally hit myself.
I laugh a little, hating myself for being this stupid...what's got into me? Why is he so familiar?
"Oh, I'm sorry...haha..."
I've gotta escape this somehow, my mind is as scattered as cat on a hot tin roof.
"What can I call you?"
He straightens, still looking at me, all gentle expressions and good looks.
He adjusts his spectacles a little on his nose.
"You can call me anything you'd like, but my names Alastor!"
I laugh outright at his charm.
But then it hits me, my face drops into a very readable expression of shock.
The voice, the familiarity, it was him! Or maybe not...he would be at the station right now if he were that Alastor, and there were probably several men with the name Alastor! Right? But that voice.
"Has anyone ever told you that you sound like that radio host?"
I ask with an evident nervous smile, which he returns with a laugh and a amused smile of his own.
"Well, I sure hope I do, considering that would be me!"
At his response, startled, I step back a bit. Here I am so casually dressed, behaving in such a lazy manner...and still holding onto the arm of the radio host...Alastor.