~2~

I quickly unhooked my arm from his, letting out a gasp without meaning to. He looked taken aback by my reaction, one eyebrow raised, maybe even a little confused at this ridiculous shaky girl in front of him. A lot of women will talk about the moment they meet someone that they admire, that they choked or struggled to find their words. Well, I wasn't as lucky, every word was out of my mouth before I could stop them. Word vomit, they call it? Oh lord.
"I am so sorry!"
I yelped out at him. Sorry? What was I saying sorry for? Sorry for touching him or pulling away from him? Sorry for acting as if I didn't know that voice? Sorry for existing? He just laughed again.
"Not a fan of the radio? That's alright, a lot of fol-.."
"No!!"
I interrupted a bit too loudly, turning a few nosy heads. Oh stars, did I just interrupt him? Do I dare make eye contact ever again? I braved a slight look up, there he was, still giving me that smile. He looked amused...very amused. I cleared my throat. Was there ever really any escape from this now?
"No, no, I'm so sorry.
I'm not usually...I...I love the radio, actually.
I was just listening to your station today...
ah...how are you here?"
I questioned all in one breath.
He just gives me another laugh.
"I like you. You're...interesting."
This time I laughed, was he really talking to me?
"Peter is taking my position this evening! He says he dreads these get togethers!"
Alastor explained while carefully looking around us. He leaned down close to me.
"He went and told his momma he had to stay for work tonight and pawned me off on her, so, here I am."
He finished with that amused smile still on his face.
I shook my head laughing.
"Oh so, Peter really does have free will? I bet he talks about me that way too!"
I laughed, raising my brow.
Alastor rocked back on his heels, taking in a breath.
"Hmm, he did mention a real weird gal that talks awful fast, think that might be you?"
He ended with a laugh.
I let my jaw drop in mock offense.
"Oh really!"
I couldn't help but smile, a real smile.
I guess that was the moment that I stopped and realized that I was really enjoying myself. I wasn't forcing smiles or faking laughs. No one had ever been so comfortable and confident around me. No one had ever joked with me like that. I loved it. His voice brought me out of my thoughts. He was smiling back at me, softly as ever.
"There you are now, fully dressed."
Confused I laughed, I couldn't stop smiling at this strange man.
"I beg your pardon?"
"Your smile."
He clarified quietly.
I shook my head.
"I've been smiling though?"
He laughed shaking his head and offering his arm back again.
"No, you're really smiling now."
I took his arm all while questioning how a man like this could exist, glad he could forgive me for my nervous behavior.
"Where's your family from?"
At my question he tilted his head away as he lead us to the back balcony. Before I even got outside I could feel the cool air creeping near by.
"You don't have to hold formalities with me or shoot for small talk. There are so many interesting things to talk about, I'm sure of it."
Of course, he was a radio host, small talk was definitely not his brand. I felt a bout of bashfulness come over me before I could fan it away.
" I must admit I hardly have anything very interesting to tell, but I'm sure you do. Maybe you can tell me about some interesting things, being a radio host must be so fun!"
He smiled. So charming, so gentle, so handsome.
"I can certainly say I'm never bored, darlin'."
Oh this man, all smiles, all grace.
We spent the whole evening together, just talking with each other. Well, really Alastor talking about a mass of wonderful and interesting things and I'd comment in amazement every now and again or ask a question. It was the most fun I'd ever had. I've never enjoyed my company so much. I had never been so truly interested and entertained.
Regardless of wether all of the tales told by Alastor that evening really happened or if he was just making things up to get me to quip up or laugh, I don't really know and didn't really care anyway, he enthralled me all the same.
I loved listening to his voice. Well, obviously.
But listening to his voice in person was so very different, clear and so close.
Around 9:20pm the party was coming to a full stop, the few lingering guests saying their goodbyes and making plans with each other.
Alastor and I had really talked all evening and oh, how the time flew by.
"Evelyn, let's make our way back home dear!"
I jumped, hearing someone else voice after just focusing on Alastor for so long felt like being pulled out of another world. Daddy just gave Alastor a slight side eye and a small nod. I separated myself from the little area where Alastor and I had sat, to talk alone and made to follow daddy who has already headed out to the Nash.
"Oh...I can't believe this evening has gone by so quickly..."
Alastor looked like he wanted to say something more as I rushed my goodbyes, but I'm not shocked he didn't try between my motor mouth.
"I've have the best evening with you. Thank you...so much."
He only smiled that charming smile.
"I hope to see you again Evelyn."
He hopes to see me again, this man, out of his own free will wanted to see me again?
Well, I suppose at the time, though I didn't want to admit it, that was perfectly wonderful with me. Cause I wanted to see him to.