Grease is the Word

Putz smirked and nudged me, "you ought to come to the shop after school and help us fix up Grease Lightning", he said enthusiastically. "It'll be a ball".

I looked over the rest of the gang with confusion, "what's a Grease Lightening"?

All the boys laughed and slapped each other like it was an inside joke. I smiled with fondness while looking at them until I turned my attention towards Kenickie, who sat with an irritated look on his face.

"It's a car, my car, and you ain't coming close to her with a ten foot pole", he jabbed. Everyone stopped laughing, now trying to act cool, except Danny who was smiling.

"Stuff it, she's going", Danny defended, pulling me into a shoulder lock. "What if she was the best mechanic you ever seen and you lost her because you were on your lady days", he challenged. I scrunched my face at the words 'lady days'.

My face heated a little bit. I was definitely not good with cars, and my knowledge of tools doesn't go past what a wrench looks like.

The boys stared into each others eyes for a few seconds, until Kenickie concedes. "She can come, but she better stay back", he says throwing his collar up.

Doody and I chatted for the rest of lunch, me mainly laughing at his vulgar language and jokes. He was probably the funniest in my opinion, but if I told him that then it'd go straight to his head.

He walked me almost the entire way to my next class, until I pulled him aside. "Doody, it's been a week now, why hasn't Kenickie gotten used to me yet"?

He sighed, as if he knew this question would come up. He shuffled around a bit, looking for ease-droppers. Once he was sure we weren't being listened to, he leaned in. "When I met him in kindygarden, it took him until fourth grade to accept me. That's a lot of years. All I'm saying is, he ain't gonna be friendly for a long time".

I sighed. I didn't have years to wait. I'm trying to finally distance myself from Sandy, and these guys are my best bet. I have to do something to speed this process up.

"I'll bet you 5 bucks that he'll like me by the end of next month", I boast offering my hand to shake.

Doody just laughed hardily, "easiest five bucks I ever made", he says sealing the deal by grabbing my hand. After that, we part ways quickly.

I think my best bet is to get him to open up to me so he lets his guard down. Once I got to 5th period, I began to devise my plan.

By the time school ended, I'd thought of every excuse not to go to the auto shop with the boys, but I landed on just sucking it up. This is how you make friends, and I'm in need of some.

Once I strolled into the shop, I noticed all the boys were already in uniform and working hard. Even Putzie looked busy. They didn't take the word greaser lightly.

Danny was the first to notice me. He tossed a tool down and came up to hug me. I put a hand out to stop him, "hug me with that grease and you're dead", I warn.

"It's all cool, let's get you changed", he said casually.

"Stop talking like that, you sound like a dork", I said following him into a back room.

Danny didn't acknowledge my comment, instead he just showed me the box of clothes to pick from. They all looked dirty and had no signs of being washed recently.

"Fabulous", I huffed. "Now scatter".

Danny left the room and I began looking through the boxes. The closest thing to my size was a size too small, but I'd make it work. I pulled my skirt off and shimmied into the uniform.

It was an unflattering brown color that made me look washed out, and it was so tight around my chest that I had to tie the top half around my waste and leave a white tank top on.

Deciding this was as good as it got, I walked out to face the music. Doody looked up as I walked out and slapped Kenickie with a towel, "she's got tits", he exclaimed.

I covered my chest quickly before anyone else started looking. "Say that again and see where you end up", I threatened.

"Who would've thunk", Kenickie said laughing.

I narrowed my eyes at him, "sense you seem to like running your mouth, how bout you run your feet", I threatened.

I saw a bucket of soapy water sitting next to me, untouched. It was as if god had planted it there in order for me to exact my revenge. I picked by bucket up quickly and started laughing.

Kenickie got the hint and stood to run. I yelled out a war cry and followed him out of the garage with the bucket right next to me.