Prologue: Sorry I Was Born This Way

Stanford wiped the tears from his face as Crampelter walked away, the bully and his friends laughing as they left their victims in the dirt. Stan had been a little afraid of the older boy, but he had protected Stanford to the best of his abilities. Stanley stood up, helping Stanford to his feet as the boy looked at his fingers sadly, his Great Horned Owl wings drooping, "Ignore them Stanford, me and you, we've got better things to worry about than whatever Crampelter was babbling like a baboon about, like when this boat's going to be finished, it's taking forever!" he said, reaching out the nudge his brothers shoulder with his elbow, and hoping to turn the subject to something nicer.

Ford gave a soft smile and rubbed the sand off his own face as Stan patted the cut on his cheek, "Come on then, lets go home, you have sand in your feathers and Ma's hasn't groomed our wings since this morning!" he said, taking his hand in his. Ford squeezed it tightly and the two twelve-year-old's hurried home for some down time.

~

"Silly boys, you shouldn't be rough housing so hard at your age, you're a mess, sit down" she said, ushering her sand covered children to the living room. Their Pa glanced up from his newspaper, grumbled and went back to reading. It was obvious he wasn't impressed, but then again, nothing impressed that man. He had his Harpy Eagle wings tucked tightly behind him, less they get squished from being leaned on.

Ma began to pick away at Stanley's Barred Owl wings, smoothing out the primaries and the secondary's perfectly while Stan did his brothers for him, "Ma?" Stanford asked.

"Yeah baby?"

"Why am I such a freak?" he asked quietly.
His Ma stood up, her Blue Jay feathers ruffling in annoyance, "Stanford Pines, you are not a freak! You're just a little different, but that's okay, you hear me, baby?"

"Yes, Ma," he said, looking down at his crossed feet and picking at the grubby shoelaces. His Ma came over and kneeled down, taking her son's hands in hers, "To me, you are perfect" she said, giving him a smile and wiping the tears away with her thumb. Stanford smiled back "I love you, Ma"

"Love you too, my baby," she said, pulling him into a hug. Stan joined in and their Ma wrapped her wings around the two, "My beautiful boys" she cooed.

~

The two sat on the dock, wings out to enjoy the salty breeze wafting in from the ocean waves, their pant legs rolled up and their bare feet cooling off in the ocean. The blisters on their feet stinging. Stan grinned at the sunset. "One day brother, me and you are going to sail away from this dump, we'll go treasure hunting and see hot babes! It'll be just the two of us for miles, sailing away from all our troubles, no one can tell us what to do! We'll make our own rules!" Stan exclaimed, putting an arm around his brother's sunburned neck. Stanford giggled and pushed his glasses up his nose, that sounded nice, minus the girls.

Stan stood up and ran down the dock, before racing towards him with his wings out. Stanford ducked as Stan shot into the air, avoiding being hit with the tips of his brother's wings and almost dropping his notebook into the water "Come on Stanford! Join me!" Stan yelled above him, swooping through the air, the wind ruffling his feathers.

Stanford stood up and put down his book and pen safely on top his favorite jacket, a smile on his face at the thought of some flying fun, the beach wasn't a No-Fly Zone like it was in the bigger cities and towns so they could fly all they wanted out here. But, as he glanced at his wings when they spread out, his freakish wings, he grimaced, "I'm good right here, Stanley" he said, sitting back down and tucking them away as best he could. Close against his spine.

After all,

Freaks didn't deserve to have fun.