Chapter 41-Assholian

Please read the authors note at the end

Jasmine fluctuated between impatience for the arrival of her babies and dragging herself through the pits of depression.

She spent her days exercising, preparing the nursery and avoiding Cristiano as much as possible. He stopped by her parents house for dinner many times. His relationship with her parents, siblings and brother-in-law had grown over the last few weeks. They all finally warmed up to him and their conversations were as civil as they should be. Over coffee, most nights were spent talking about everything from arguing over politics, music and mutual interests concerning business.

However, talking about trivial things was the farthest thing from Jasmine's mind. It was impossible to read what was written in his eyes. What was he thinking? What was he feeling? She would search his compelling features for a sign of reaction.

There wasn't anything, just hard cold stone.

It was driving her crazy. Sometimes she could have sworn he was staring through her, making her feel like she was wearing nothing beneath her clothing. But for all she knew, it could have been a figment of her overactive imagination.

Mostly, he avoided talking directly to her. Jasmine swallowed the pain that knifed through her as her stomach churned in a sickening knot.

A cold chill never left her body. Her throat would work convulsively to ease the strangling constriction of threatening tears that warned her she was ready to have a breakdown.

Her air of poise was thin. She had assumed he would see things her way. That he would be soul-searching and not see everything in black and white. But he remained indifferent like nothing happened. Of course, he was more distant than before but it did nothing to give her any measure of reassurance.

So much for the man who would love and cherish her. So much for his declarations of love and being the man worthy of her. She had brought it on with her actions but she was not prepared to pay for the mistake. But at least it showed her he was not the man for her. He never was and never would be.

There were dark smudges beneath her eyes, evidence of countless night of sleep. Over and over again she went over the events. What had she hoped to gain? Had she thought if she denied him her heart that he would want her so badly and try harder to win her affections? If that had been her subconscious plan, it had backfired with agonizing consequences.

She still hurt, but she had learned to live with it and conceal it from others.

"Jasmine what's wrong with you?" Camelia asked gently, entering her bedroom and closing the door behind her.

Intense pain flashed across her face. "What's wrong with me? Nothing. I'm fine. Just impatient and wanting to be done with being pregnant. I don't know how women enjoy it for this long. I don't like getting fat. I don't enjoy the fact my feet are swollen. Nothing fits. I'm always tired. I don't sleep and hate the fact that I can't sleep on my stomach. I don't like any part of it."

Camelia shook her head. "I can imagine it isn't easy. You have a few more weeks before the babies are due and you'll forget it all and go back to your normal weight and routine. But that's not what I meant. You and Cristiano–"

It took all of Jasmine's control not to blanch at her statement.

"Are over." She finished. "I don't want him around me. If I had a choice I wouldn't have him around my babies either. I want him to go away and never come back. Every time he's around I cannot stomach the sight of him. I want him to go away."