[20] Our Family

Chapter 20 Our Family

When Lisa said they were going away for the weekend, Jennie did not expect to travel approximately 672 miles by air and find herself in Jeju walking through the foyer of the stately Manoban home, greeted by her relatives who were temporarily rendered speechless upon seeing them.

The same worried feelings she felt when Patrick Manoban came to the mansion are interplaying inside her, only this time it's not for the same reasons. She's part of this family now. No longer temporary. But it was like meeting for the first time ... because in a way she is. In New Zealand, the faces in attendance, whether family or friends, were all a blur to her.

That's why she feels like an ice cream melting under the heat of the sun due to the assessing stares directed her way.

And her husband, who's responsible for this surprise vacation, for some reason, is mentally unable to help with her predicament.

Jennie glanced anxiously at Lisa, who looked completely unaware of her panic and disorientation. In fact, she seems to have her mind wandering to another matter outside of the huge living room they were currently seated in along with eight other people who are looking at Jennie with obvious scrutiny.

Amused scrutiny but scrutiny nonetheless. Like a panel of judges—and she's the talentless contestant desperate for a positive remark.

Even the little girl, hovering in front of her, with doe-like eyes, curly locks tucked neatly under a red headband with an intricate ribbon design on one side and a colorful dress to match—she looks like a doll in her opinion—was subjecting Jennie with curious observation.

Under the guise of a tremulous smile, she carefully expelled a nervous breath and imperceptibly squeezed Lisa's hand that was laced with her own to snap the Thai out of her reverie. She did come out of it, but it was because her phone vibrated in her pants pocket. Lisa apologized for the call, excused herself and let go of Jennie's hand as she stood up to leave the room.

Don't leave! Jennie's mind screamed at Lisa's retreating back. I'm only good with families when they want a photo taken!

Think happy thoughts . . .

All things nice . . .

Conspicuously alone, Jennie was very much tempted to follow Lisa outside but instead she drew on courage she didn't know she had and lifted her eyes—which she's trying hard not to show the uneasiness in them—to the other occupants in the room.

Jennie let her eyes stray to the people staring at her, landing first on Marco Manoban with his serious face and unwavering gaze looked like he was weighing down the merits of throwing her for the guillotine. Jennie quickly shook off the gory idea and gazed at Lisa's uncle, Ted, who is Marco's brother. He had a less somber face but like his wife Anne who sat next to him, he looked expressionless that she didn't know what to make of him.

The two teenagers in the room, Ted's children, Chloe and Nate, were looking at Jennie with curious eyes. They seemed to be noting everything about her from head to toe, trying to spot any flaw they could find. She was suddenly worried about her clothes— tight jeans and an off-white vintage blouse—not at all presentable for meeting with families but again it was Lisa's fault.

She didn't tell her.

Damn that woman! What's taking her so long?!

Then there was Adam, Lisa's cousin from his father's side of the family, who looked about a few years younger than Lisa and was regarding her passively like he was bored out of his skull, wanting to be anywhere but here.