IV

It was almost impossible to survive the periods after lunch. During the last class of the day, she was so tense by the stress and the need to get answers she dropped a vial with what could easily have been an acid. It splattered on her dress, and she didn't even think of the possibility that it could have been acid when she started apologizing. She didn't dare look at Hayden on the other side of the classroom. They surely had detected something was amiss with her now, aside from the things Amy had mentioned over lunch, but she didn't feel like answering questions. Hayden and their damned sensitivity. When the bell rang, she almost fled out of the classroom, not giving her friend the time or the possibility to catch up wit her. She immediately started looking for Katie. She had to talk to her, or she would explode. When she didn't find her, she started to panic further.

She finally saw her in the distance, making her way to the dorms for whatever reason, and Amethyst hurried to catch up with her.

"Hey," she said out of breath. Katie looked up. She was rubbing her arm and looked confused.

"Hi," she replied. "What's up?" The words sounded insecure, like she wasn't sure she was supposed to be here, talking with Amy.

"Can I talk with you for a second?" Amethyst asked straight away. Katie paled, then righted her shoulders.

"Sure. Right here, or..."

Amethyst glanced at a few trees several feet away, benches placed underneath them. When she began walking towards them, Katie followed. That was a good sign, no? Even though she probably couldn't just walk away.

What would Amethyst say to her? The truth? If she asked her if something was wrong, she would say no. But she also couldn't reveal Hope, because revealing Hope was revealing herself. When Katie sat down next to her, she held her breath and opted for a middle way.

"I wanted to check if you were okay?" she said, but when Katie began nodding straight away, she added, "I just... I heard some stories about Mr. Johnson and I knew he is tutoring you." Was she supposed to know that, though?

Katie paled further.

"No... everything is alright."

"Are you sure? You seemed so quiet today."

"I'm just tired, that's all."

She wasn't cooperating.

"I know he's using you, Katie," she blurted out, and then clapped a hand before her mouth. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean..."

Katie's eyes grew big. "How... you can't tell anyone!"

The last words were so unexpected and loud Amethyst was startled. She fell silent for a second. Katie had clasped her hands in her lap and was fidgeting with the rings around her fingers. Her knuckles were white, her hands trembling. She looked as she was about to cry.

"It's not that bad, really. I just... do what he wants and he doesn't fail me, you know?"

Amethyst gripped her hands. She felt how the panic from earlier was rising up in her throat, urging her either to cry or to vomit. She did neither.

"That is not okay, Katie. He can't just do these sort of things."

Katie freed her hands and put them under her thighs. When she again looked at Amethyst, her eyes were narrowed.

"How do you even know this? I don't really believe you have heard stories about Mr. Johnson."

She cringed a bit when she said his name. Amethyst had been stupid. She could have gone on with this story if she hadn't just blurted out what she knew.