001. Year Five

Erica:

"Mena, off your ass and on your feet."

My entire body cringed at the sound of his voice. I grabbed the pillow from behind my head and slammed it over my face, praying that it would make this weak ass white boy disappear. Not likely. He was still here, still yelling, being a bitch.

"Now inmate!" He screeched as he pounded his heavy fist into the steel door.

"Where the fuck are you taking me this early?" I climbed out of my bunk standing to my feet, as he'd demanded.

"Shut your dirty little mouth bitch." He jammed his forearm into my neck, forcing me up against the wall.

"When I say move you move. You might run shit with these little cunts down here—" He pushed the weight of his body onto me, cuffing my hands behind my back. "But I'll fucking break you."

He sinisterly licked the lobe of my ear and pressed his erection against my ass. Words never got to me but it was shit like this tormented me.

I hated this motherfucker with a passion but there was no getting away from him, and there hadn't been for the last five years of my life. That's just how it was in prison. The CO's controlled every aspect of your life whether you liked it or not. They told you when to eat, when to sleep, even when to wash your own ass. It was the last place I ever expected to end up, yet here I was. All because I acted on impulse.

I was serving a ten year sentence for attempted murder at Rikers Correctional Facility, better known as Rikers Island. The isolated shit hole that the government still deemed habitable for human beings. The conditions were pretty much unbearable. The bitches in here all had something to prove and the CO's were some of the most perverted p motherfuckers on this planet.

They didn't give a fuck about us, especially in the maximum security unit. This was the jungle and you either survived or you parished. Only the strongest survived.

The tight metal cuffs squeezed my wrist as CO Nelson yanked me down the hall. He lined me up with a few other girls that were already standing along the wall. It was too early for visitation because the sun wasn't even up completely, so where the fuck were they taking us?

"Let's go."

Another CO led the way down the white bricked hallway. I kept my face forward, walking until we finally stopped.

"Mena, come with me." CO Nelson motioned with his head for me to fall out of line. The others continued as I stood outside of the parole board office. The large old school clock above my head showed it was just before five am.

Nelson gripped my arm hard as he opened the door. Three members of the parole board sat at a long table across the room from me. My lawyer Villario sat at the table nearest to the door. After shackling me to the table like some sort of animal, Nelson exited the room.

Me? I was still confused as hell and someone needed to give me answers.

"Vil what the fuck is all of this?" I whispered toward my lawyer but he quickly silenced me. "Let them talk...you'll like this." He nodded.

"Hello Ms. Mena, my name is Florence Wilder and I am the lead director on the parole board here at Rikers Correctional Facility. You're here today because we've created a special task force that may be able to exonerate your case and let you walk free in less than thirty days..."

I quickly cut her off. "Look lady, I ain't no rat. So you can send me back to my cell now. I'm not interested."

"Not even if it means putting the man you were gunning for in the first place behind bars?"