I'm Still Here... Jayfeather

Yeah.. so I finally bought River of Fire *sigh* I didn't want to, but I need it to add onto and modify Briarlight's death cause it's so short and practically forgotten :( Not to mention Briarlight's supposed to have a deep bond with Jayfeather but it's not really shown at all... Yeah... not happy with the new arc or ending of Omen of the Stars... anyway, it is briarfeather because I'm a sucker for briarfeather fluff, but it's not too strong... at least I think it's not.

Briarlight's Death

(River of Fire rewrite)

Alderheart padded softly over to Briarlight, where the disabled cat was stretched out on her side among the moss not far from Daisy. She was lying oddly still, her breathing sounding hoarse and raspy. Feeling a sense of unease, he bent his head and sniffed her muzzle, only to pick up on a familiar and heart stopping sour scent. The sickness... Briarlight has the sickness! His gasp of dismay and movement against her whiskers disturbed the weak she-cat.

Who's blue eyes cracked open and she weakly heaved herself up and propped herself up on her shaky and slightly trembling forelegs.

Alderheart's stomach flipped over, she was so weak, and her scent had soured too, hinting subtly at an outcome her didn't want to believe. "Briarlight... I'm going to go get Jayfeather okay?" He mewed, knowing Jayfeather would want to know, "let's get you back to medicine den."

"There's no need to get me, I'm already here." a gruff mew grunted and Alder looked behind him to see his the medicine cat trotting over, blind blue eyes focused hard on Briarlight. The silver tabby stopped in front of Briarlight, his ears flattening in concern, "why didn't you tell me?" He asked her a little harshly, bending his head to sniff at her muzzle and check for himself.

"I didn't want to bother you," Briarlight mewed softly, "there's other sick cats to worry about."

"I choose who to worry about," Jayfeather mewed sharply, "and everything effects you faster and harder Briarlight." He swung his head to look at Alderheart, "get Greystripe and Lionblaze to come help me, then tell Bramblestar." He swung his head again to look back at Briarlight, his tail swishing angrily and in a worried manner from side to side.

Once Alderheart left Jayfeather bent his head and licked the sick cat between the ears, his gruff mew sharp and determined. "I won't let you die here, like this. Not to a sickness I can cure."

Briarlight's glazed blue eyes shut at his silent affection before she sluggishly rested her head down on one of his front paws, tired. "It's okay," she mewed hoarsely, "I don't mind this time."

The fur on the back of Jayfeather's neck stood on end and he hissed quietly to her, "you have to fight it! Don't give up now Briarlight!"

Briarlight nudged his fur at the bottom of his leg with her nose, "I'm not giving up, I'll fight if that's what you want Jayfeather."

Jayfeather's blind eyes gazed unseeingly at the she-cat, "you're not dying," he insisted stubbornly even as Lionblaze and Graystripe pushed their way through the brambles, "you're not."

Briarlight didn't respond, instead she just gave a raspy sigh, even as Lionblaze touched noses with his mate before approaching his brother.

"Come on, let's get her to the medicine den Jayfeather," Lionblaze mewed, "so she can have a fighting chance."

Jayfeather dipped his head in agreement and moved aside to let his brother and Briarlight's father carry Briarlight to the medicine den.

Starlight gleamed beyond the bramble screen when Alderheart awoke at a soft noise of moss and bracken crunching under paw.